Ireland/Events/Rathlin Island Mapping Party
|Rathlin Island, Northern Ireland|
|latitude: 55.2869, longitude: -6.2101|
|Browse Rathlin Island map 55° 17′ 13″ N, 6° 12′ 36″ W|
|Use this template for your city|
Rathlin Island is a island in Northern Ireland at latitude 55° 17′ 13″ North, longitude 6° 12′ 36″ West.
Mapping parties are events where anyone can come and participate in the OpenStreetMap project. OpenStreetMap is a free, open source map that can be contributed, edited and used by anyone anywhere. Mapping parties are social events where experienced and new mappers can meet to share and learn more about the project. The events are generally held in a public place, and allow time for discussion, mapping and editing. The event is open to all.
It's fun. It's free. You can help.
More about Mapping parties
- When: Saturday & Sunday March 6th & 7th, All weekend
- Where: Rathlin Island and a bit of Ballycastle if time
- Getting there: A ferry service runs from the nearby town of Ballycastle (see links below).
Twitter hashtag: #osmrathlin
- Event schedule:
- Propose to meet at Ballycastle Ferry Terminal, 18 Bayview Road at 10am to catch the 10.30am ferry.
- As before. If staying on the island overnight could meet up at Church Bay harbour when the ferry docks at 11.45am.
- Internet connections could be an issue. I haven't found accommodation on the island with wifi and the Marine Hotel in Ballycastle has paid (Bitbuzz) wifi only. More investigation is needed.
- ACCOMMODATION on the island (taken from http://www.rathlincommunity.org/page/information-visitors):
- All the following are Northern Ireland Tourist Board approved:
- Coolnagrock B&B. Ph: 028 207 63983
- Kinramer Cottage Camping Barn. Ph: 028 207 63948
- Manor House Guesthouse. Ph: 028 207 63964
- Puffin Cottage Self Catering. Ph: 028 918 11659/077 7394 4339
- Soerneog View Hostel. Ph: 028 207 63954
- ACCOMMODATION in Ballycastle:
- Some useful links:
- To Bring
* GPS device if you have one * A bicycle (handy to get around on) * Camcorder or digital camera (great for rich note-taking) * Pen and paper * Voice recorder if you have one * Broadband dongle * Mains multi-extension leads * Memory card readers * Spare AA batteries * Battery chargers
- Weather: This event is rain or shine so come prepared.
Currently a blank map so all roads and POI are needed.
Mapping Party Suggestions
Please feel free to suggest locations and goals for this mapping event as well as future events.