The Greater London Authority have released a dataset for allotments in London, deposited in the London Datastore. The data gives co-ordinates and names for all the allotments that the London boroughs knew about in May 2007.
The GLA are keen to see if the OpenStreetMap community can update the dataset, providing in return all the allotments we have mapped that are missing from their set and polygons rather than lat/lon co-ordinates.
Spot the difference
Robert Scott has kindly produced this tool. It shows all the allotments in the GLA dataset, colour coded as follows:
- Green means OSM has an allotment in that rough location with the same name
- Blue means OSM has an allotment in that rough location with a different name
- Red means there is no match in OSM at all
Our aim is to get them all to blue, except where the allotment doesn't appear to exist on the ground.
How to add allotments
Make sure you survey on the ground before adding an allotment from this set! Some definitely do not exist any more.
Once you have found the allotment, add it as a polygon using the following tags:
- name=(name from survey, or from dataset if none found)
- operator=(society from survey, or local authority name from dataset if none found)
- description=(add any remaining metadata from the dataset like facilities)
Because Robert's tool doesn't allow us to tick off allotments that don't exist, please indicate in the list below when a borough has been fully checked out and list any major disagreements.
Inner London Boroughs
- City of London
- Hammersmith and Fulham
- Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea
- Southwark - complete
- Tower Hamlets
Outer London Boroughs
- Barking and Dagenham
- GLA data appears jumbled, with names not matching coordinates.
- I am checking this with the GLA. TomChance 10:53, 22 September 2010 (BST)
- Kingston upon Thames
- Richmond upon Thames
- Waltham Forest