|local user group|
|when:||2nd Tuesday of Feb, Apr, Jun, Aug, Oct, Dec; plus mapathons|
|where:||Washington Metropolitan Area (map)|
|mailing list - archive|
MappingDC (@mappingdc on Twitter) is a group organized around producing high quality Free (as in Freedom) maps of metropolitan Washington DC and surrounding areas.
The main method of communication for MappingDC is through the MappingDC mailing list.
In addition to the list, we use the OSM-US Slack, our Facebook group and the OpenStreetMap wiki to organize events. When an event is planned, the MappingDC Meetup group and the Washington, DC talk page is updated with the event, as well as a link to a page on the specific neighborhood(s) to be mapped at the event. We also have regular meetings at Capital City Brewing Company in downtown DC to talk about mapping and OSM. Check the MappingDC Meetup page for details.
MappingDC also has a website Please register and make use of it for your mapping events.
Washington, DC has over a hundred distinct neighborhoods. We use this natural division as a starting point for organizing events. Ideally an event should map one or several specific neighborhoods as completely as possible, and the event organizer should reach out to local community groups to assist in the mapping effort.
Several opportunities exist for mapping DC neighborhoods. The DC Great Streets page lists the eleven corridors that are part of the local Great Streets program, each offering opportunities for populating the map with local businesses, landmarks, and sites of interest.
- 2017, Apr 29, Alexandria National Cemetery https://www.meetup.com/MappingDC/events/236767108/
- 2017, Jan. 21, Let's Map Anacostia https://www.meetup.com/MappingDC/events/236599568/ 10 am
- 2016, Oct 31, Halloween cemetery mapping https://www.meetup.com/MappingDC/events/234515842/
- 2016, Aug 13, Mapping 14th Street https://www.meetup.com/MappingDC/events/230376678/
- 2016, May 17, Spring Mapathon with MaptimeDC https://www.meetup.com/MappingDC/events/230448044/
- 2015, Oct 10, Columbia Heights and Southern Petworth https://www.meetup.com/MappingDC/events/225701915/
- 2015, July 18, Old Town Alexandria https://www.meetup.com/MappingDC/events/223746208/
- 2015, Apr 11, Spring Mapathon https://www.meetup.com/MappingDC/events/221396891/
- 2014, Dec 6, Minnesota Avenue Great Streets https://www.meetup.com/MappingDC/events/218032632/
- 2014 Oct 18, H Street NE Mapping Party with DC Government's Great Streets Program and MOMIES TLC, the group from the Georgia Avenue Youth Ambassadors Mapping Project. At the Northeast Public Library, 330 7th Street NE, noon to 5 pm. Meetup link
- 2014 Nov 8 or 15 Mapping Party - MLK Boulevard. Probably at William O. Lockridge/Bellevue Neighborhood Library. Stay tuned...
- 2014 Sept 6 Georgia Avenue Mapping Party Meetup link
- 2014 2014 August 9th OSM 10th Anniversary Birthday Party, 12PM-5PM, @OpenGovHub
- 2014 July-August Georgia Avenue Youth Ambassadors Mapping Project
- 2014 May 13 Mappy Hour, Capital City Brewery
- 2014 April 26-27 Spring Edit-a-thon, Mapbox Garage
- 2014 January 18 Winter Edit-a-thon, MLK Library
- 2013 October 19-20 Fall Edit-a-thon, Mapbox offices
- 2013 April 9th - Mappy hour
- 2013 March 9th FallsChurchMappingParty
- 2013 February 2nd - Mappy Hour
- 2012 Dec 5 - Mapping party Hyattsville, MD
DC Building and Address Import
Long Term Goals
Our central goal is to create the best map of the District and surrounding metropolis. This includes major features, of course, but also fine-grained features of use to pedestrians, cyclists, and casual users. This requires an ongoing effort to keep this information accurate over time. To that end mappers should assist local groups with education on not only data entry but maintenance. Community groups should be empowered to maintain the data themselves.
Of course MappingDC wouldn't exist without the OpenStreetMap project, but in addition there are other groups we collaborate or have a kinship with.
- GeoDC - A loose affiliation of geo-nerds that gather once a month to share beers and geo-talk.
- HacDC - DC's Hackerspace and MappingDC's meeting spot.
- MaptimeDC - A group formed to teach people of all skill levels about mapping and geography.
- DC OCTO - Providing DC's rich data sets
- DC Great Streets Program - A multi-year multi-agency commercial revialization initiative to transform emerging corridors across the District into thriving and inviting neighborhood centers.
- MOMIES TLC - MOMIES = Mentors of Minorities in Education, a local DC educational institution dedicated to transformative learning.