The OpenStreetMap Foundation (OSMF) is a registered not-for-profit company (company limited by guarantee) which supports the OpenStreetMap project (for further information see "About" page at blog.osmfoundation.org). The company is registered in the United Kingdom according to the law of England and Wales (Scotland and Northern Ireland have distinct company laws). Other dfficial information is available from the Foundation's website osmfoundation.org.
- 1 Purpose
- 2 2016 AGM and election to board
- 3 Membership
- 4 Working Groups
- 5 Governance
The Foundation was established to:
- To be a custodian for the servers and services necessary to host the OpenStreetMap project. Specifically the foundation is the custodian of the servers located at UCL and the www.openstreetmap.org domain name.
- To afford some degree of protection from copyright and liability suits.
- To provide a vehicle for fundraising to support the project.
2016 AGM and election to board
The 2016 Annual General Meeting took place on Saturday, 10th December 2016. You can read official details of the AGM on the OSMF site with links to the meeting minutes and transcript.
Ordinarily the AGM marks the close of the election, however this year voting is still open until Dec 14th. All voting takes place electronically.
Anyone can join the Foundation through the foundation website for £15. A members email-list is available to members to communicate with other members (anyone can read the discussion). Discounts for some OSMF organised events such as the annual State of the Map conference) are offered. Members can stand for election at the AGM each year and can vote for the board and other ballots. Attendance at the AGM is not required for voting. Since 2014 voting is via on-line voting service with email invitation for all members. Prior to 2014 voting was by paper ballot in person at the AGM, or email by proxy. Join
You do not have to be a member in order to use or contribute to OpenStreetMap.
Many of the activities of the foundation are carried out by working groups. The following working groups are currently active:-
Communication Working Group
- Support and maintain the OSM Foundation website
- Support and maintain communication tools between OSM Foundation members and board
- Promote communication within the OSM community
- Improve tools for supporting OSM membership subscriptions and renewals.
Data Working Group
Licence Working Group
Licence and other legal topics.
Local Chapters Working Group
Main article: Foundation/Local Chapters To establish a framework for federated Local Chapters of the Foundation where local or special interest groups are able to set up a formal relationship with the Foundation. Federated groups will also be able to represent themselves to other official bodies such as the Government and media organisations  This group is currently looking for local OSM leaders.
Operations Working Group
Deals with issues related to the operation of servers and other related operational matters.
Board minutes indicate the founding of a working group for membership services, as a transition from the earlier membership secretary model. Discussion and details Membership Services Working Group
Engineering Working Group (discontinued)
Supports the OSM development community and serves as a technical forum for the discussion and resolution of development-related issues. This working group was discontinued in 2015.
The board as elected at the 2015 AGM:-
- Chairperson – Kate Chapman
- Secretary – Paul Norman
- Treasurer – Frederik Ramm
- Peter Barth
- Mikel Maron
- Martijn van Exel
- Ilya Zverev
Formal meetings normally held monthly and the Board Meeting Minutes are published on the foundation website.
- To contact the board in normal circumstances please email the secretary using firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The full board can be emailed using email@example.com. Note that this email alias is not limited to the aforementioned board members, but may also be copied to other parties (currently, Steve Coast and Michael Collinson).
- The Officers (Kate, Paul and Frederik) can be emailed using firstname.lastname@example.org
|First Name||Last Name||2007||2008||2009||2010||2011||2012||2013||2014||2015||2016|
|Steve||Coast||Elected||term extended||Re-elected||term extended||term extended||CE||CE||not elected|
|George||James||(aka Etienne Cherdlu)||Elected||Re-elected||not elected|
|Mikel||Maron||Elected||Re-elected||Re-elected||term extended||Re-elected||Elected||term extended|
|Henk||Hoff||Elected||Re-elected||term extended||term extended||Re-elected||term extended||term extended|
|Simone||Cortesi||not elected||Elected||term extended|
|Hurricane||Coast||(nee McEwen)||not elected|
|Oliver||Kühn||Elected||term extended||term extended||Re-elected||term extended|
|Thea||Aldrich||(nee Clay)||not elected|
|Kate||Chapman||not elected||not elected||not elected||Elected||term extended||term extended||Re-elected|
|Matt||Amos||Elected||term extended||term extended|
|Dermot||McNally||Elected||term extended||Re-elected||term extended|
|Frederik||Ramm||Elected||term extended||Re-elected||term extended||Re-elected|
|Marek||Strassenburg-Kleciak||not elected||not elected|
|Paul||Norman||Elected||term extended||term extended|
|Peter||Barth||not elected||Elected||term extended|
|Martijn||van Exel||Elected||term extended|