Proposed features/Name hint
|Tagging:||name_hint=centre/ left/ right/ in_centre/ in_left/ in_right|
|Rendered as:||affects rendering of names on ways|
osmarender has a hard time rendering names on linear features. While a sophisticated automatic algortihm could avoid things like names clashing, or going round really sharp corners, it's unlikely to happen any time soon. Therefore, I propose a helping hand. If a node on a Way is marked name_hint then the name is rendered starting there.
This would also allow the name to be rendered twice, which is good for reference on longer ways.
The value can give some help in rendering style:
- name_hint=centre (or center): rendered horizontally centered on the node (useful when the way is too short to have the name rendered in line)
- name_hint=left: similar but start at the node
- name_hint=right: ditto, but ends at the node
- name_hint=in_centre: centred on the node following the segments of the Way
- name_hint=in_left: starts at the node and follows the segments
- name_hint=in_right: ditto, ending at the node.
User:David.earl October 16, 2006
- Possibly an alternative, possibly complementary - also have a look at Proposed_features/Subsidiaries . One concept being discussed there would be useful for avoiding names clashing or obscuring other features. You put a name= tag in an explicit position off to the side. You then put a segment between the node and any node on the parent Way. This connector gets a special tag such as "subsidiary" and is never explicitly rendered. It does tell the renderer or other software that there is something that needs looking at. MikeCollinson 11:42, 11 June 2007 (BST)
- Doesn't the best location for text differ on the renderer, the zoom level, what layers are shown, if more detail gets mapped later, etc. etc. - LastGrape