State Of The Map 2013/Call for venues
The State Of The Map 2013 Call for venues is now closed and winning bid chosen.
State Of The Map 2013 will be held in Birmingham!
See the winning bid: State Of The Map 2013/Call for venues/Birmingham
Old 'Call for venues' information
- CFV open: 18 December 2012
- Submit your proposal by: 31 January 2013
If you submit a proposal (bid), add it to the list below. To be able to make a good decision your proposal should at least contain the following information:
- Name of the group or individual applying (we might contact you for further information regarding your proposal)
- Name, address and short description of the proposed conference venue
- A short impression how the State of the Map 2013 would look like
- Ideas for community-building activities
- Information about the city/region (transport, accommodation, etc).
- An estimate of the costs of the venue and catering
Please have your proposal ready by 31 January 2013.
For inspiration: have a look at the proposals for SotM11
In order to make a well-thought decision which bid to choose, the organizing committee has set up a list of criteria on which the proposals will be judged.
- Easy access by public transport (train, bus)
- Preferably within one hour travel of a major airport (also serviced by low-cost airlines)
- Availability of accommodation close to the venue
- Venue facilities (conference rooms, AV, WiFI, break out areas, right size)
- Cost of venue and catering
- How well the (local) organizing committee will cope with the organization
- Interestingness of the city
- Opportunities to promote OSM with commercial organisations within the region/country
Who should apply? Anyone or any group that wish to host the State of the Map 2013 can apply to the OSM Foundation to be considered as a conference host. You do not need to represent a whole nation – rival bids from the same nation are allowed, but we encourage co-operation between nearby groups.
Are the dates set? No, the date of SotM13 are not set yet. Since the AGM of the OSM Foundation will also be held during the conference, SotM13 should be held during July, August or early September.
Is the conference format fixed? No, the format is not fixed. The first two conferences were a two day event during a weekend. The last three conferences had an extra day in the program with a focus on professional users. The 2013 conference does not necessarily need to have the same format. The prospective hosts may suggest alterations to the format.
Do we need to have a venue confirmed? No. You don’t need to have a venue confirmed. However, having a provisional “yes” will be an advantage.
What is the affiliation between the OSM Foundation and the State of the Map? The State of Map is the conference of the OSM Foundation. All finances, entry fees and sponsorship should be administered through the Foundation, but applicants are strongly encouraged to seek sponsorship and other support.
What size should the organizing committee be? The recommended size of the local organizing committee are 3 people to handle all issue regarding the venue, catering and other organizational issues that require local knowledge. The local team will be part of a bigger organizing team. So you're not on your own....
How many people can you expect? The last three conferences had about 280 sign-ups.
The bids do not have to be in a final version to be listed here, so you may be able to work on it collectively. Because that's what a wiki is all about....