State of the Map Scotland 2015/admin
- 1 Welcome
- 2 Map.Makars
- 3 Drinks
- 4 Wall displays
- 5 Internet Access
- 6 Social/Evenings
- 7 Volunteers
- 8 Associated Groups
- 9 Previous SOTMS
This page contains info about organising the State of the Map Scotland 2015
Booking State of the Map Scotland 2015 & Map.Makars workshop - Friday 2nd, Saturday 3rd & Sunday 4th Oct
You can select which days/events you wish to attend by completing a registration form here:
- Booking details TBC
The conference event days ~80 spaces (Friday's map library tour ~20)
The Map.Makars event ~30 spaces
First come, first served!
We will be live streaming the conference.
Let's get physical! Sunday 4th Oct will be focused on the preparation and creation of physical maps based on OpenStreetMap data in a variety of materials such as paper maps, textiles, 3D printing, wood, origami, cross-stitch...This is a follow-on event from the main conference which must be booked separately. Numbers will be more restricted than the main event so book up early to avoid missing out! If you are new to OpenStreetMap but can't wait to make maps - we recommend you attend the workshop on Saturday afternoon at State of the Map Scotland. This will show how to access OpenStreetMap data and get it into the format you require. You can then hit the ground running on Sunday. If you can't make it, we will also run a brief workshop on Sunday morning at Evolution House - but you'll have less time to make stuff!
- Workshop for preparing data in QGIS
- Opportunity to print large maps and use of various materials
- Possibly some contribution towards material cost will be required
- Request to do raster tile creation with a digital embroidery machine (Still investigating) --Hawkeyes (talk) 19:53, 2 March 2015 (UTC))
'Traditionally', the State of the Map conference has been followed by a more conventional coding hackday. You are of course invited to work on OpenStreetMap related coding projects but the focus is on the digital/physical interface i.e. making stuff.
This event will be held in Evolution House, Edinburgh College of Art
Area 1: G07/G07a: Main Presentation area
The G07/G07a area will be set to hold 40 people with projector facilities.
At lunchtime, the atrium space will be used to serve food. The far side will be for posters/gallery displays.
We have an Urn for hot water and will provide basic tea, coffee, cups etc. We have no budget so please bring your favourite teas and biscuits for everyone. The beverages will be tucked away in the a corner.
Code of conduct
Added to main page
Coffees and teas throughout the day will be supplied by volunteers. Need volunteers.
We will be decorating the main area with visualisations. Need to check what we can provide / wall space.
Internet Access will be available for the duration of the conference. Need edinburgh uni provide logins - check with venues.+ Church centre
ptional post-conference drinks in the Peartree Pub and then those wishing to eat will wander around (perhaps doing some mapping on the way) until a suitable venue is found. Maybe think about something official on different nights?
Please add your name here if you would be willing to help out on either of the two days - we'll be in touch:
- Hawkeyes (talk) 21:32, 18 February 2015 (UTC) both days and map makar day
- Andy Mabbett - I comepered the main stage at SotM 2013 in Birmingham, and would be happy to do the same again. Thanks Andy! - That would be great. Be in touch --Hawkeyes (talk) 21:11, 2 March 2015 (UTC)
- Jo Walsh - happy to help out with whatever gruntwork, all three days
- Design logo - done.
- Design/Print flyers/posters - Duncan Bain is drawing up some sketches
- Distribute flyers/posters - around University of Edinburgh and to other interested institutions. Funds for printing available.
- Reception - People will be coming in at different times they will need to be shown the board with all the post-it notes for talks or connections
- Gallery - making sure that the slide shows are running smoothly and that paper maps are put up
- Tech support - help setup presentations, microphones, video stream. Chris is helping with vidwo streaming.
- Coffees and teas throughout the day will be supplied by volunteers
- Confirm Sunday's 'map.makar' workshop location - Done! thank you ECA! --Hawkeyes (talk) 21:32, 18 February 2015 (UTC)
- Contact potential speakers and keynotes -- Completed --Hawkeyes (talk) 19:20, 5 January 2015 (UTC) - Done!
- Secure sponsorship -- list has been put together...some progress made ---Hawkeyes (talk) 19:17, 5 January 2015 (UTC) Skyscannner, ebusinessinformation, eegeo.
- Code of Conduct - added - using wording from SOTM US.
- Social events?
- Wall space, projectors for posters/demo/images at lunchtime - check with venue
Openstreetmap.org hope that we will be able to build stronger ties to larger groups such as Universities, Libraries or NGO or government agencies. Those who wish to say they are going to attend please add your name.
State of the Map Scotland 2014- Too much mapping going to stop for a conference - postponed to 2015!
- State of the Map Scotland 2013
- State of the Map Scotland 2012
- State of the Map Scotland 2011. In 2011 we had a total of 20 half hour sessions in 2012 we have 24 half hour sessions dedicated to mappers and 16 half hour sessions dedicated to external groups.