Discuss MapQuest here:
For MapQuest open tiles currently the advice on this page is to use the credit text:
- "Data, imagery and map information provided by MapQuest, Open Street Map <http://www.openstreetmap.org/> and contributors, CC-BY-SA <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/> ."
To me this seems like strange wording. It should be improved.
- For a start that should be "OpenStreetMap" not "Open Street Map".
- It mentions "imagery" which to me normally means aerial imagery a.k.a. vertical aerial photography, which is something which is provided as another tile layer, but that should carry different credit anyway, since OpenStreetMap is not involved. In the case of these tiles, why use the word "imagery"?
- Now the main point. "data" (or "map information"?) is provided by OpenStreetMap and contributors. The tiles are rendered and hosted by MapQuest. Clearly tiles are also a kind of data and map information so these terms get muddled, by why muddle them here? The alternative credit text mentioned on the page says "Tiles Courtesy of MapQuest", which is a good way of putting it.
So I tried to jam these things together in way which doesn't disregard MapQuests recommendations completely. A full credit text, which makes more sense I think:
- "OpenStreetMap and contributors CC-BY-SA. Tiles Courtesy of MapQuest."
The full HTML:
- <a href='http://www.openstreetmap.org/'>OpenStreetMap</a> and contributors, <a href='http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/'>CC-BY-SA</a> Tiles Courtesy of <a href='http://www.mapquest.com/'>MapQuest</a> <img src='http://developer.mapquest.com/content/osm/mq_logo.png'>
See how that looks here on UIXAPI. But obviously I am not a lawyer. I suppose we'd need to know what MapQuest (and maybe mapquest's lawyers?) think of this before changing the recommendation on the page here.
-- Harry Wood 13:24, 20 June 2012 (BST)
"The map data is updated approximately every 15 minutes"
This doesn't seem to work at zoom level 10, for example. The tiles of large areas go stale for months at a time. Is there any information about how to refresh tiles with significant changes in them?
Routing data updates?
"The routing data is updated daily." - I checked out with a new turn restriction in Budapest, Hungary and found 2 weeks passed before MQ noticed my change. What is the source of this information..?
--Dap Sat Apr 20 13:48:23 CEST 2013
- Looks like the issue is still ongoing. Edits I made days ago on OSM are still pending on MQ. To be more specific, tiles are OK but underlying logical information isn't.
- The latest (although not recent) news from MapQuest I could find are here, and don't say much but the fact there is a problem. --Shlublu (talk) 06:36, 21 May 2015 (UTC)