The State Of The Map/meeting log4

From OpenStreetMap Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
[2007-02-08 20:05:30] <SteveC> so..... SotM IRC meet?
[2007-02-08 20:09:12] <SteveC> _80n: you here?
[2007-02-08 20:09:23] <_80n> yup
[2007-02-08 20:10:11] <SteveC> shall we go thru the agenda?
[2007-02-08 20:10:13] <SteveC> 1 feedback from stuff done during the week
[2007-02-08 20:10:22] <SteveC> well, the site's up
[2007-02-08 20:10:33] <_80n> are we expecting anyone else? blackadder?
[2007-02-08 20:10:34] <nickb_ldn> yeah. lets go
[2007-02-08 20:10:41] <SteveC> no I dont think he can make it
[2007-02-08 20:11:16] <_80n> the site looks good
[2007-02-08 20:11:30] <steve8> I am lurking, and will pick up on anything I can help with
[2007-02-08 20:12:07] <_80n> there are a couple of typos - who is looking after that kind of thing?
[2007-02-08 20:12:45] <SteveC> any of us can log int
[2007-02-08 20:12:55] <nickb_ldn> _80n: several people can log into teh site and fix it
[2007-02-08 20:13:09] <nickb_ldn> did you get an email confirming your accout?
[2007-02-08 20:13:26] <_80n> If I did I missed it
[2007-02-08 20:14:12] <nickb_ldn> I'll mail you the details
[2007-02-08 20:14:36] =-= cjb_ie_ is now known as cjb_ie
[2007-02-08 20:15:39] <nickb_ldn> done
[2007-02-08 20:15:48] <_80n> ta
[2007-02-08 20:16:16] <nickb_ldn> so, on the organisation front, there are a few changes I need to make to the apache conf to run pentabarf
[2007-02-08 20:16:28] <SteveC> 2  Website/talk management site 
[2007-02-08 20:16:45] <nickb_ldn> what is talk management?
[2007-02-08 20:16:59] |<-- damike84 has left irc.oftc.net (Quit: damike84)
[2007-02-08 20:17:19] <SteveC> I think that means pentabarf
[2007-02-08 20:18:16] <nickb_ldn> so - as above
[2007-02-08 20:18:26] <SteveC> 3 CFP then
[2007-02-08 20:18:53] <SteveC> you've had various enquiries?
[2007-02-08 20:19:21] <nickb_ldn> yeah - mainly asking to be put onto a mailing list and others wanting detail of deadlines
[2007-02-08 20:19:37] <nickb_ldn> also people wanting to know how to submit - which means pentabarf
[2007-02-08 20:19:44] <SteveC> what are we discussing with 3?
[2007-02-08 20:19:57] <_80n> what have you told them re deadlines?
[2007-02-08 20:20:22] <nickb_ldn> nothing yet - I added that to teh agenda for this meeting
[2007-02-08 20:20:59] <_80n> The CFP words are up on the site - I guess we need to get the info out on blogs and mailing lists etc
[2007-02-08 20:21:32] <_80n> where/who should it be sent to?
[2007-02-08 20:21:40] <nickb_ldn> yep, just need to get plugging it
[2007-02-08 20:21:47] <SteveC> its already on carto-soc, talk and osgeo
[2007-02-08 20:22:17] <steve8> I can offer to help BlAddr on that. Listings, diaires, blogs - have a load of them lineup
[2007-02-08 20:22:32] =-= Richard_ is now known as Richard_in_pub
[2007-02-08 20:22:32] =-= Richard_in_pub is now known as Richard_
[2007-02-08 20:23:06] <rweait> SteveC: 80n: You guys want to put together a presentation for FOSS4G ?
[2007-02-08 20:23:19] <almien> BlueNinja: look on [[Slippy map tilenames]] for links, or source code of any tiles@home-related program on SVN
[2007-02-08 20:23:21] <rweait> Vancouver in September?
[2007-02-08 20:23:29] <nickb_ldn> rweait: they want to pay the fiars to Canada ;-)
[2007-02-08 20:23:32] <almien> deelkar: is there much to see at zoom 18?
[2007-02-08 20:23:38] <rweait> s/Vancouver/Victoris/
[2007-02-08 20:23:40] <SteveC> should '  To submit, send an email to this address.' be changed to say 'talk submission stie comeing soon' ?
[2007-02-08 20:23:56] <SteveC> rweait: isn't it in canada?
[2007-02-08 20:24:15] <rweait> Aye.  Victoria, British Columbia.
[2007-02-08 20:24:25] <_80n> better to get their email address and mail back when the site is up
[2007-02-08 20:24:28] <rweait> Supposed to be beautiful
[2007-02-08 20:24:37] <Schuyler> it is
[2007-02-08 20:24:41] <Schuyler> totally worth the trip
[2007-02-08 20:25:18] <deelkar> almien: well I guess it is not really worth the space, at least with osmarender 3
[2007-02-08 20:25:25] <SteveC> they don't pay airfare though, right?
[2007-02-08 20:25:52] <deelkar> I'm not sure what framm has planned for osmarender 4 support, though
[2007-02-08 20:26:28] <rweait> They'll discount your conference fees.
[2007-02-08 20:27:11] <nickb_ldn> anyway. the CFP is out.  We need to publicise it and get the submissions site up
[2007-02-08 20:27:42] -->| Dutch_DK (~Dutch_DK@port75.ds1-by.adsl.cybercity.dk) has joined #osm
[2007-02-08 20:28:14] <almien> can someone involved with osmarender4 have a look at proposed featured images (a road bridge) and see if there's any other features you'd like to showcase
[2007-02-08 20:28:18] <Dutch_DK> Yo.... Now tiles is not serving any map tiles, just like dev.. Whats up ?
[2007-02-08 20:28:36] <SteveC> Dutch_DK: WORKSFORME
[2007-02-08 20:28:39] <almien> also can we have a caption competition for the image of OSM data on someone's garmin
[2007-02-08 20:28:56] <Dutch_DK> Both mapnik and osmarender layer ?
[2007-02-08 20:29:34] <SteveC> mapnik
[2007-02-08 20:30:02] <Dutch_DK> Hmmm.. Weird.. Now both works here.. Must be a glitch in the temporal fluxcapacitor interface...
[2007-02-08 20:31:06] <nickb_ldn> Dutch_DK: I just restarted apache - trying to set up the conference management site
[2007-02-08 20:31:12] <nickb_ldn> its running off dev too
[2007-02-08 20:31:19] <Dutch_DK> Ahhhhh 
[2007-02-08 20:31:42] * Dutch_DK adds nickb to the list of things to blame.. right after MTV and Rap Music
[2007-02-08 20:31:55] <nickb_ldn> 4  Finalise prices as follows:
[2007-02-08 20:32:22] <nickb_ldn> price looks fine
[2007-02-08 20:32:54] <_80n> What/who are "Other Concessions?"
[2007-02-08 20:33:17] <nickb_ldn> there have been a few enquiries about prices today, so if we can finalise it, I'll write up a wordpress page for its
[2007-02-08 20:35:03] <_80n> Unless anyone has any idea who would fit into the other concessions category I propose we remove it.
[2007-02-08 20:35:13] <SteveC> remove++
[2007-02-08 20:35:28] <nickb_ldn> fine
[2007-02-08 20:35:28] <cjb_ie> so... it /is/ possible to turn govt docs into something resembling a map. i give you ireland's N-roads (equiv. A-roads in Britain):
[2007-02-08 20:35:32] <cjb_ie> http://cosmos.ucc.ie/~cjvdb1/roads.pdf
[2007-02-08 20:35:49] <cjb_ie> produced from http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/7616-0.pdf
[2007-02-08 20:36:28] <cjb_ie> next project: same thing for secondary routes (B-roads)
[2007-02-08 20:36:36] -->| kabads_ (~adam@84-45-156-162.no-dns-yet.enta.net) has joined #osm
[2007-02-08 20:37:02] <_80n> ok
[2007-02-08 20:38:25] |<-- kabads has left irc.oftc.net (Ping timeout: 480 seconds)
[2007-02-08 20:39:16] <nickb_ldn> so we are confirmed
[2007-02-08 20:39:25] <nickb_ldn> on the prices that is
[2007-02-08 20:39:33] <_80n> Projected revenue from delegate registrations based on those prices and 200 delegates is £3400
[2007-02-08 20:40:30] <_80n> looks like we are confirmed on the prices.
[2007-02-08 20:41:02] * nickb_ldn looks at the spreadsheet
[2007-02-08 20:41:28] * _80n has just updated it
[2007-02-08 20:41:41] <nickb_ldn> do we have any projected expenses
[2007-02-08 20:41:51] <SteveC> is Jochen here?
[2007-02-08 20:42:10] <SteveC> we should project speaker travel costs and try to pay that
[2007-02-08 20:42:24] <_80n> there are two pages on the spreadsheet
[2007-02-08 20:42:36] <_80n> the first is income, the second is expenditure
[2007-02-08 20:43:00] <nickb_ldn> looks good so far then
[2007-02-08 20:43:47] <_80n> the expenditure page is still pretty rough - I expect plenty more items to appear
[2007-02-08 20:44:48] <_80n> SteveC: there is already a line item for keynote speakers - are you suggesting travel expenses for all speakers?
[2007-02-08 20:45:05] <_80n> as well as free admission?
[2007-02-08 20:45:30] <SteveC> if possible... or perhaps for those that are needy
[2007-02-08 20:45:34] <SteveC> or come from the EU
[2007-02-08 20:46:25] <_80n> I'll make a provision - I guess we should require them to make a case and then pay out on a discretionary basis?
[2007-02-08 20:46:51] <nickb_ldn> _80n: yes, I dont think the EU qualifies as the most needy place in the world
[2007-02-08 20:47:08] <_80n> How many speakers are we talking about anyway - we need to to plan a schedule for the two days
[2007-02-08 20:47:37] <SteveC> 20?
[2007-02-08 20:48:04] <_80n> 10 each day - sounds good
[2007-02-08 20:52:21] <SteveC> 5  Confirm important dates:
[2007-02-08 20:53:22] <nickb_ldn> So pre-reg - as in no more cheap tickets
[2007-02-08 20:53:25] <_80n> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/The_State_Of_The_Map/timeline
[2007-02-08 20:53:56] <_80n> May 30 is proposed as the early reg cut off date
[2007-02-08 20:54:00] <nickb_ldn> I think we can extend the submissions to end of march
[2007-02-08 20:54:09] <Elrond> osma4 needs more amenities. ;o)
[2007-02-08 20:54:15] <nickb_ldn> with a program at the beginning of may
[2007-02-08 20:54:55] <_80n> Can we make a general conference announcement without a provisional programme in place?
[2007-02-08 20:55:12] <SteveC> without speakers?
[2007-02-08 20:55:34] <nickb_ldn> We can announce speakers as they are confirmed I guess
[2007-02-08 20:55:57] <SteveC> but a programme needs speakers surely?
[2007-02-08 20:56:20] <_80n> If we have the keynote speaker and all the sessions blocked out then we can make a call for registration
[2007-02-08 20:56:29] |<-- Dutch_DK has left irc.oftc.net (Ping timeout: 480 seconds)
[2007-02-08 20:56:59] <_80n> Like this: http://www.foss4g2007.org/program_overview.html
[2007-02-08 20:57:23] <SteveC> ah
[2007-02-08 20:57:24] <SteveC> sure
[2007-02-08 20:57:31] <nickb_ldn> we could aim to have something like that by the beginning of march
[2007-02-08 20:57:56] <_80n> Yes, with a filled out programme by end of march
[2007-02-08 20:58:24] -->| Dutch_DK (~Dutch_DK@port75.ds1-by.adsl.cybercity.dk) has joined #osm
[2007-02-08 20:59:29] -->| TeLLuS (~johan@h152n2fls32o1109.telia.com) has joined #osm
[2007-02-08 21:00:21] * _80n has updated http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/The_State_Of_The_Map/timeline
[2007-02-08 21:01:06] <ajturner> CFP is done?
[2007-02-08 21:01:19] <ajturner> oh, sorry - nevermind :)
[2007-02-08 21:03:23] <_80n> ajturner: do you have some input?
[2007-02-08 21:03:26] <nickb_ldn> ok - so we can tell people who enquire the estimated dates 
[2007-02-08 21:03:58] <ajturner> _80n - no, it wasn't clear to me at first glance that Jan 31 was CFP was *opened*. I thought it meant CFP was closed
[2007-02-08 21:04:08] <_80n> shall I put the dates up on the site?
[2007-02-08 21:04:28] -->| tuxit (~Clive@87.127.40.169) has joined #osm
[2007-02-08 21:04:36] <SteveC> why not
[2007-02-08 21:05:14] <nickb_ldn> ajturner: they are very much open.  You want to talk?
[2007-02-08 21:05:22] <_80n> ajturner: I've made it clearer on the wiki
[2007-02-08 21:05:36] <ajturner> nickb_ldn - yeah, would like to, gotta think about it, and checking flights :)
[2007-02-08 21:06:01] <ajturner> a little far 
[2007-02-08 21:06:52] <_80n> ajturner: Is this you? http://highearthorbit.com
[2007-02-08 21:07:31] <ajturner> _80n - yep
[2007-02-08 21:07:36] <ajturner> you've found me - RUN
[2007-02-08 21:07:53] |<-- Dutch_DK has left irc.oftc.net (Ping timeout: 480 seconds)
[2007-02-08 21:08:00] <ajturner> _80n, actually, that's just my website. I'm a person ;)
[2007-02-08 21:08:20] -->| Dutch_DK (~Dutch_DK@port75.ds1-by.adsl.cybercity.dk) has joined #osm
[2007-02-08 21:08:29] <_80n> cool - high earth orbit *is* a little far ;)
[2007-02-08 21:10:26] <ajturner> > 22000 miles ;)
[2007-02-08 21:10:32] <ajturner> well, just think of the freq flyer poitns
[2007-02-08 21:11:04] <ajturner> anyways, flights are currently > $1050usd :/
[2007-02-08 21:11:17] <_80n> we'd love to have you come over though
[2007-02-08 21:11:37] =-= Dutch_DK is now known as Dutch_DK2
[2007-02-08 21:11:43] <ajturner> I'd love to come, perhaps if I start swimming.....
[2007-02-08 21:11:46] <nickb_ldn> ajturner: hang in there, sure the $ will rise a bit more
[2007-02-08 21:11:49] <nickb_ldn> :)
[2007-02-08 21:11:50] |<-- Dutch_DK2 has left irc.oftc.net ()
[2007-02-08 21:12:00] <ajturner> thx nickb_ldn
[2007-02-08 21:12:05] -->| Dutch_DK2 (~Dutch_DK@port75.ds1-by.adsl.cybercity.dk) has joined #osm
[2007-02-08 21:12:05] <ajturner> anyways, gotta run
[2007-02-08 21:12:13] |<-- ajturner has left irc.oftc.net ()
[2007-02-08 21:13:59] <_80n> OK, I'll put the time line up on the SotM site
[2007-02-08 21:14:44] <_80n> nickb_ldn: can you resend the login details - they haven't come through yet
[2007-02-08 21:20:48] <nickb_ldn> i SENT them to your stateofthemap.org address
[2007-02-08 21:23:23] <_80n> can you send them to my gmail address please?
[2007-02-08 21:23:48] <nickb_ldn> yeah
[2007-02-08 21:23:55] <_80n> ta
[2007-02-08 21:24:38] <nickb_ldn> done
[2007-02-08 21:25:28] <_80n> ok - got it
[2007-02-08 21:26:03] =-= Dutch_DK2 is now known as Dutch_DK
[2007-02-08 21:27:52] <_80n> 6. Think about sites for things like pub, resteraunt afterward.
[2007-02-08 21:28:53] <Dutch_DK> Later all.. Time to get out of dodge, and get the hell home...
[2007-02-08 21:28:56] |<-- Dutch_DK has left irc.oftc.net (Quit: Leaving)
[2007-02-08 21:29:43] <SteveC> I'm guessing we can do this when we visit
[2007-02-08 21:29:48] <SteveC> we need a date to go check things out
[2007-02-08 21:31:26] <mcknut> indeed
[2007-02-08 21:31:41] <mcknut> and you'll need to do some mapping while you're there
[2007-02-08 21:31:56] <nickb_ldn> yeah - late may/june
[2007-02-08 21:32:13] <nickb_ldn> mcknut: you are semi-local right?
[2007-02-08 21:33:29] <_80n> by May 30, we should have a pretty good idea of what the actual numbers are likely to be
[2007-02-08 21:33:32] <mcknut> yeah, Liverpool
[2007-02-08 21:35:35] * _80n has added a site visit for "early June" to the timeline
[2007-02-08 21:37:42] <mcknut> http://stateofthemap.org/
[2007-02-08 21:40:48] <_80n> mcknut: looks like a DNS setup problem
[2007-02-08 21:43:05] <_80n> 7. Mapping party to capture Manchester
[2007-02-08 21:43:50] <_80n> There appears to have been some recent activity to the south of Manchester
[2007-02-08 21:44:25] <_80n> Wilmslow
[2007-02-08 21:45:56] <_80n> 200 people could cover a lot of ground in a weekend
[2007-02-08 21:47:49] * _80n wonders if we should give each delegate a small area to map over the weekend as a "mission"
[2007-02-08 21:48:37] <SteveC> that's a very cool idea
[2007-02-08 21:48:44] <SteveC> the areas should overlap, too
[2007-02-08 21:49:25] -->| Dutch_DK (~Dutch_DK@port75.ds1-by.adsl.cybercity.dk) has joined #osm
[2007-02-08 21:49:32] <_80n> with points accuracy - if the overlapping areas match up
[2007-02-08 21:49:45] <_80n> s/point/points for/
[2007-02-08 21:49:54] <Dutch_DK> LMAO : http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5368/annawikipediasx4.jpg
[2007-02-08 21:51:10] <Dutch_DK> I hope our data won't be mishandled in that way.. And BTW.. Paris Hilton just moved up to the Top #1 spot on the "Worlds Dumbest Blondes" list.
[2007-02-08 21:51:34] <BlueNinja> rofl
[2007-02-08 21:52:10] -->| RalfZ_2_ (~chatzilla@dslb-084-056-045-005.pools.arcor-ip.net) has joined #osm
[2007-02-08 21:53:08] <_80n> Some parts of Manchester are not very safe - we'd need to be a bit careful
[2007-02-08 21:53:45] <cjb_ie> i'm sure /they're/ safe - but mappers in them may not be
[2007-02-08 21:54:13] <deelkar> someone read too many discworld novels :)
[2007-02-08 21:54:41] |<-- RalfZ_Munich has left irc.oftc.net (Read error: Operation timed out)
[2007-02-08 21:54:49] <SteveC> the Shades of Manchester
[2007-02-08 21:57:14] |<-- RalfZ_2 has left irc.oftc.net (Ping timeout: 480 seconds)
[2007-02-08 21:57:23] =-= RalfZ_2_ is now known as RalfZ_2
[2007-02-08 21:57:29] |<-- Dutch_DK has left irc.oftc.net (Quit: Leaving)
[2007-02-08 21:58:13] |<-- steve8 has left irc.oftc.net ()
[2007-02-08 21:58:34] <_80n> Should we designate specific times in the programme for mapping, or just assume that people will go out when there is a session that doesn't interest them
[2007-02-08 21:59:10] <SteveC> hmmmm
[2007-02-08 21:59:22] <deelkar> I'd make it free, but also allot some time for it
[2007-02-08 22:00:20] <mcknut> yeah, I'm wondering about how much time people will have to do mapping
[2007-02-08 22:00:50] <mcn> have a 2 hr lunch break?
[2007-02-08 22:00:56] <_80n> I favour the latter option - there's always an uninteresting session that you need an excuse to skip
[2007-02-08 22:00:57] <mcknut> 200 people spending 12 hours over two days talking about mapping will manage less
[2007-02-08 22:03:21] |<-- TeLLuS has left irc.oftc.net (Quit: do best)
[2007-02-08 22:03:21] <_80n> Sunset in Manchester on 14th July is 21:32
[2007-02-08 22:03:33] <mcknut> heh
[2007-02-08 22:04:30] |<-- eckhart has left irc.oftc.net (Remote host closed the connection)
[2007-02-08 22:05:25] <SteveC> how did you find that out?
[2007-02-08 22:06:51] <_80n> Its all on the interweb thingy
[2007-02-08 22:06:53] <_80n> http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=302&month=7&year=2007&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1
[2007-02-08 22:07:00] -->| enxrah (~enxrah@bathterror.free-online.co.uk) has joined #osm
[2007-02-08 22:08:49] -->| RalfZ_Munich (~chatzilla@dslb-084-056-045-005.pools.arcor-ip.net) has joined #osm
[2007-02-08 22:09:18] <_80n> interesting: last year sunset was at 21:31 - global warming seems to be making the days longer ;)
[2007-02-08 22:10:41] <_80n> So there is scope for an evening mapping session from, say 5pm to 8pm
[2007-02-08 22:10:57] <SteveC> yes very much so
[2007-02-08 22:11:11] <SteveC> it'll be a pretty stunning party
[2007-02-08 22:11:19] <mcknut> hehe
[2007-02-08 22:11:30] <SteveC> can I start talking about AOB?
[2007-02-08 22:11:37] <_80n> Yes
[2007-02-08 22:12:00] <deelkar> _80n: we're moving towards a leap year, the days are a bit off
[2007-02-08 22:12:46] <SteveC> I'm a bit worried we won't get Imi and Joerg
[2007-02-08 22:12:49] <SteveC> and others
[2007-02-08 22:13:22] <_80n> why - because of the location?
[2007-02-08 22:13:30] <SteveC> yeah
[2007-02-08 22:13:45] <SteveC> perhaps it will hot up but theres been a bit of a luke warm reaction to the conf
[2007-02-08 22:13:59] <SteveC> hence me mailing Joerg etc
[2007-02-08 22:14:56] <_80n> what can we do about it?
[2007-02-08 22:15:17] <SteveC> lament it?
[2007-02-08 22:15:36] <SteveC> Seriously, I'm not sure... pay flights for imi as he's on OSMF?
[2007-02-08 22:16:00] <_80n> For sure - if its a question of cost
[2007-02-08 22:16:29] <mcknut> would he be speaking?
[2007-02-08 22:16:43] <SteveC> I'd hope so
[2007-02-08 22:18:46] <_80n> How easy is it to get from Manchester airport to the Uni?
[2007-02-08 22:19:07] <mcknut> should be fairly easy, train takes you to the center
[2007-02-08 22:19:09] <SteveC> theres a train station in the airport IIRC
[2007-02-08 22:19:51] -->| almien2 (~Ojw@213.78.86.114) has joined #osm
[2007-02-08 22:19:51] <_80n> how far from the centre to the Uni?
[2007-02-08 22:19:55] <mcn> i did manchester train stn -> univ a few years back, and walked it - wasn't far iirc
[2007-02-08 22:21:08] <_80n> maybe we can arrange to meet people at the airport and transport them by car
[2007-02-08 22:21:23] <--| nickb_ldn has left #osm
[2007-02-08 22:21:35] <SteveC> yeah the walk is 10-15 mins
[2007-02-08 22:21:47] <SteveC> that's doable
[2007-02-08 22:21:57] <mcknut> yes, station -> uni is very short
[2007-02-08 22:21:58] <_80n> it would remove some uncertainty from the journey for those who are not road warriors
[2007-02-08 22:23:32] * _80n assumes the mega casino will not be open by July
[2007-02-08 22:24:04] <mcknut> heh
[2007-02-08 22:24:14] <mcn> wanna bet?
[2007-02-08 22:24:15] <mcn> ;-)
[2007-02-08 22:25:28] |<-- almien has left irc.oftc.net (Ping timeout: 480 seconds)
[2007-02-08 22:26:22] <SteveC> ok how about this - we could try to get ppl from the EU in to these IRC meetings?
[2007-02-08 22:26:51] <mcknut> btw we don't have oxford road station
[2007-02-08 22:27:09] <mcknut> I think I have a trace tho
[2007-02-08 22:27:40] <_80n> that would be good - get them involved a bit more
[2007-02-08 22:31:03] |<-- l4rs has left irc.oftc.net (Remote host closed the connection)
[2007-02-08 22:34:20] <_80n> So, anything else?