Tiles are rectangular slabs of ceramic affixed in a grid arrangement to your bathroom wall! But here we're much more likely to be talking about map tiles:
- square bitmap graphics displayed in a grid arrangement to show a map
- We may also be talking about tiled map data.
This page includes lots of information and technical detail. If you want to use map tiles in your web page or application you can have a look at this tutorial about how to use OpenStreetMap tiles.
Graphical Map Tiles
Map tiles are typically 256 x 256 pixel images. e.g.:
This isn't always the case, For example CloudMade offers OpenStreetMap 64 x 64 pixel images for mobile use, however 256 x 256 pixel images are becoming a de facto standard driven by Google Maps.
- Mapnik tiles layer of the slippy map
- Osmarender tiles layer of the slippy map.
- Kosmos Tile Map Server windows tile renderer
- Tile usage policy
- Exporting calibrated maps list tools to have tiles compatible with specific embedding software
- Tiletool is a utility for map tile processing. It can generate lowzoom tiles combining higher zoom tiles, apply overlays over them and some other useful features.
- Tiles@Home, was a rendering engine that lets lots of clients render small tiles for the slippy map
- Slippy map tilenames calculate tilenames if you have coordinate
- Estimating Tile Disk Usage.
- Tile water land status, index of which tiles are land, or water, on the OSM slippy map, this is a file available in SVN, in the png2tileinfo file.
- List of changed tiles, gets all tiles in a zoom level that have changed in the last 1h to 24h.
- mod_tile Apache module that spawns processes to render mapnik tiles. see mailinglist
- Tile cache, renders maps with mapnik/mapserver/WMS and cache them as tiles.
- Binary tiles see mailinglist
|Name||type||covered||latency||comment||tiles url ||Tile example|
| OSM mapnik
Tile usage policy
|base||a b c|
| OSM mapnik
|base||1 2 3 4|
| MapQuest Sat
|base||1 2 3 4||http://otile1.mqcdn.com/tiles/1.0.0/sat/7/63/42.jpg|
| HOT style
Humanitarian focused OSM base layer
|overlay||Sea marks only, background transparent|||
| Hike & Bike
|DE ?||Using osmc:symbol=*|||
| OSM B&W
mapnik map grayscale
Black & White map
| Lyrk Geodienste
|base||specific amount of delivered tiles are for free, more traffic available by paying. retina tiles optional.|
Also see for example map compare service at bbbike.org. Please obey the usage restrictions of each tile server if you use it heavily.
- Copy the destination of the link to get the url for OpenLayers
Tiled map data
- QuadTiles, a scheme to make OSM database indexed by tiles
- OJW's tile data server, first implementation of a cacheable data server, that servs data in the same way as the tileserver.
- Tile data server, generic definition of how data served as tiles should work. (written by ojw as well...)