Tiles are rectangular slabs of ceramic affixed in a grid arrangement to your bathroom wall! But here we're much more likely to be talking about map tiles: square bitmap graphics displayed in a grid arrangement to show a map. We may also be talking about tiled map data (described below)
Graphical Map Tiles
Map tiles are typically 256 x 256 pixel images. e.g.:
This isn't always the case, For example CloudMade offers OpenStreetMap 64 x 64 pixel images for mobile use, however 256 x 256 pixel images are becoming a de facto standard driven by Google Maps.
- Mapnik tiles layer of the slippy map
- Osmarender tiles layer of the slippy map.
- Kosmos Tile Map Server windows tile renderer
- Tile usage policy
- Exporting calibrated maps list tools to have tiles compatible with specific embedding software
- Tiles@Home, was a rendering engine that lets lots of clients render small tiles for the slippy map
- Slippy map tilenames calculate tilenames if you have coordinate
- Estimating Tile Disk Usage.
- Tile water land status, index of which tiles are land, or water, on the OSM slippy map, this is a file available in SVN, in the png2tileinfo file.
- List of changed tiles, gets all tiles in a zoom level that have changed in the last 1h to 24h.
- mod_tile Apache module that spawns processes to render mapnik tiles. see mailinglist
- Tile cache, renders maps with mapnik/mapserver/WMS and cache them as tiles.
- Binary tiles see mailinglist
|Name||type||covered||latency||comment||tiles url ||Tile example|
| OSM mapnik
Tile usage policy
| OSM mapnik
|overlay||Sea marks only, background transparent|||
| Hike & Bike
|DE ?||Using osmc:symbol=*|||
| OSM B&W
mapnik map grayscale
Black & White map
- Copy the destination of the link to get the url for OpenLayers
Tiled map data
- QuadTiles, a scheme to make OSM database indexed by tiles
- OJW's tile data server, first implementation of a cacheable data server, that servs data in the same way as the tileserver.
- Tile data server, generic definition of how data served as tiles should work. (written by ojw as well...)