I'm a system administrator working in central London. I live in Stratford, have a Garmin Geko GPS unit (rubbish display, old chipset, but the price was right, and it's jolly robust), a pushbike, and a Mac. I use gpsbabel for moving tracklogs around, and am still figuring out how to do this stuff (Spring/Summer 2007), hence the notes on this page.
This needs bunging onto the relevant pages elsewhere. Minimally modified (Wiki markup) from my working notes.
3-letter CRS codes for stations at http://deaves47.users.btopenworld.com/rail_index.htm see also NAPTAN data, TIPLOC codes w/ lat/longs
Pull waypoints from device:
/Applications/gpsbabel -w -i garmin -f /dev/cu.KeySerial1 -o gpx -F waypoints-$(date +%Y%m%d).gpx
Naming style guide
- If in doubt, split by date
- Name by date, then by topic, that way a lexical sort makes sense (is this right? -- topic, then date might be better, as per the example below)
- raw tracks should contain the token "raw"
- include tags if they're filtered or otherwise modified (eg simplified)
Pull all the tracks off the device (suitable for archiving):
/Applications/gpsbabel -t -i garmin -f /dev/cu.KeySerial1 -o gpx -F \ misc-raw-$(date +%Y%m%d).gpx
- miscellaneous data (ie contains various tracks/journeys)
- raw (not filtered, pulled straight from device)
- April 11 2007 (NB dates in most significant digit first format, to preserve lexical sort order)
Take a raw GPX file, merge the various tracks (mostly an artifact of turning the unit on and off), then filter it down to a specific date (UTC timestamps), merging all the various tracks into a single one:
/Applications/gpsbabel -t -i gpx -f misc-raw-20070411.gpx -x track,merge,start=200704060000,end=200704070000 -o gpx -F Capital_Ring-20070406.gpx
/Applications/gpsbabel -t -i gpx -f misc-raw-20070505.gpx -x transform,wpt=trk,del -x transform,rte=wpt,del -x simplify,count=100 -o gpx -F route.xml -o gpx -F route.gpx
Also see the "split" option to the track command -- can merge them, then split based on say a 4 hour interval like so:
gpsbabel -t -i gpx -f in.gpx -x track,pack,split=4h,title="LOG # %c" -o gpx -F out.gpx
Dump all the routes:
/Applications/gpsbabel -r -i garmin -f /dev/cu.KeySerial1 -o gpx -F routes-20070411.gpx