Leave messages for User:Mikel here
Google summer of code reminder
For Google Summer of Code 2008 we'd need to settle on a project idea, and apply in March. Just thought I'd remind you about this. You still interested in acting as mentor? I'd put my own name down, but it's quite a lot of time actually. -- Harry Wood 11:38, 31 October 2007 (UTC)
Good to meet you
Good to meet you on Friday, and thanks for the poster. I'd forgotten you were the one looking in to 'Google summer of code' stuff as well. You're a promotion machine! -- Harry Wood 11:00, 10 December 2007 (UTC)
The wiki at http://wiki.freemap.in Is that yours?
It seems to be configured with the wrong default homepage or something.
Also keep an eye on RecentChanges. The wiki is gathering a fair bit sp@m. I tried to clean up some of it but I get a message "You triggered the wiki's surge protection by doing too many requests in a short time", which makes cleaning up the spam more difficult.
I would've thought it would be perfectly acceptable to use the OSM wiki here to do all the organising/sign-up lists you need to do, if you preferred to do it that way.
-- Harry Wood 11:27, 6 February 2008 (UTC)
- Got bored of cleaning the spam, but I thought maybe your BadContent page could be used to block spammy words e.g. I tried adding 'warcraft' ...but that moinmoin features seems to be not working. I was asking moinmoin poeple about this, but not sure what exactly you need to do to activate it. -- Harry Wood 12:09, 18 March 2008 (UTC)
or you might be able to activate "TextChas" : http://moinmo.in/HelpOnTextChas although I'm not sure if you're on moinmoin version 1.6 Anyway I guess you're not reading this, so I'll drop you a direct email -- Harry Wood 09:45, 15 July 2008 (UTC)
Hello, I see that you talk tommorow at Wikimania. Cool. I'm also working on a connection of wikipedia and OSM. Perhaps you take a look at my project Query-to-map which describes and shows one possible way to work together. OSM-Slippymaps in Wikipedia-articles is also such a thing that is in discussion at wikipedia. The question is also how the wikipedia can help OSM. Ok, than have nice days in Alexandria. --Kolossos 18:54, 17 July 2008 (UTC)
I'm thinking of a HOT Wizard, (or, at least a TODO list of pages needed) to organize the mapping, the informations...
This wizard should help to create :
- the main page
- a /_param page to store main params (lat/lon/zoom/minlon/minlat/maxlon/maxlat/...) to be call with the Template:Get
- the subpages (map ressources, imagery, New mapper, News, press...)
- the categories (mappers, devs, data...)
- the templates (header, userbox, newsbox...) nesting HOT templates
I think (and I hope) a crisis like Haiti would not happen to often ! But during the last few years, a tsunami, a storm over Louisiana, and Haiti are good (bad) examples of the need of fast and wide response. The mapping of Haiti has already shown the ability of OSM to respond to such crisis.
Other, hopefully less, crisis need smaller organisation, so maybe the wizard should propose to sizes:
I have some skill in mediawiki, but I have too much time nor knowledge on needs for Humanitarian on OSM. Is such an idea a real need for the wiki ?
Thank you for your attention.
FrViPofm 21:31, 25 January 2010 (UTC)
- Yes, something so we can move extremely quickly and without confusion in the next crisis. This is the problem, and something like what you suggest might be part of the solution --Mikel
Why DWG ignores this ticket? Aleksandr Dezhin 11:38, 13 July 2010 (UTC)
Wanted to raise your attention about  (not sure of the best communication means for OSM...). We may have seen each other briefly in Wikimania if you came :) And your name was suggested when I search for help on OSM :) Thanks Anthere (talk)