Winter Mapping 2006
Winter Mapping events back in 2006 are rather old obviously. This page was used for organising alternative ideas to publicise OSM during the winter of 2006. Back in those days there were only a handful of events, attended by a few early mappers. The project has come a long way since! See Stats
Val Thorens Mapping Party
This Event Took Place in 2006! Saturday 16th December through Friday 22nd December, a week long mapping party in les Trois Vallées ski area in the French alps. More details here.
Following the 2nd anniversary party in London, move up north a bit to make it easier for other people to get to.
- Birmingham, Suggested venue is the Prince of Wales pub, 84, Cambridge St, Birmingham, B1 2NP. Lat/Lon: 52.4796, -1.9117
- Saturday 16th December from 1pm
For those wavering about attending, there are some great things to do and see in the centre of Birmingham so why not make a day of it. The German Market is running in New Street (You will pass through it between New Street Station and the pub) which is well worth a visit. The pub is on the doorstep of the NIA, the ICC, Sealife Centre, the canal network and Gas Street Basin and a whole lot more. The new Bull Ring is well worth a visit just to gaze at the iconic bulbous end of Selfridges from the car park catwalk. Or there is Think Tank including the Science Museum not far away. Art galleries and other interesting excursions are not far away either. All is doable on foot; though don’t bother trying to map, multipath issues in the city centre make it pretty much a waste of time.
IRC mapping day
Like a mapping party, but go out in the morning mapping, lunch on IRC, mapping again then tagging up data on IRC.
Day on IRC osmarendering maps and getting them on their wikipedia city/county pages to get more traffic to openstreetmap.
Go to local Linux user groups, walking/cycling groups and speak about OSM
LUGs that have already heard about OSM
- GLLUG (london, User:Steve)
- Hants LUG (Nick Whitelegg and Dean Earley)
- HertsLUG presentation 2006 (User:steve8, Oliver White, and Robert Scott)
- KWLUG in Kitchener Ontario Canada
- LELUG Leicester LUG, UK, User:Clive
- EdLIG Edinburgh LUG, UK, User:Chris and possibly others?
LUGs that need contacting, please get involved and speak to your local LUG about doing a talk:
- Reigate and Banstead, User:Steve contacted to see if there are any winter meetings