Places to find information about OpenStreetMap's database...
|Stats||The main statistics page, showing number of users, amount of data, etc.|
|Data stats|| Normally automatically updated every day. Performs analysis on the database that makes OpenStreetMap work – shows the number of ways, nodes, relations, … in the database. That page also shows the leaderboards for people uploading data. |
There is a historical dump of this full data going back to 2007 and some basic data going back to 2005.
|Server stats||Showing the disk, memory, I/O, bandwidth stats of each of the OpenStreetMap servers|
|Web site access stats for www or for planet||web site access statistics with lots of detail about the visited pages and the visitors.|
|Wiki stats||showing the access statistics etc for the wiki pages. Please note: Stats distorted from 2007-10-12 due to Proxy-Cache running in front of webserver. See also Special:Statistics|
Permanent shortURL: http://j.mp/OSM-stats
- 1 Database Statistics - Graphical
- 1.1 Registered users
- 1.2 Users and GPX uploads
- 1.3 Users (log scale)
- 1.4 Node, way and relation creation
- 1.5 Users editing nodes or uploading GPX nodes
- 1.6 Nodes and ways added each day
- 1.7 Highly active users
- 1.8 Contributor Stats
- 1.9 Changeset Stats
- 1.10 Node edits per contributor per day
- 1.11 First time editors per week
- 2 Links to more OSM Database Stats
- 3 Tabular Stats
- 4 Tagging Stats
- 5 Contribution percentage by user
- 6 Tile usage stats
- 7 Third party stats
- 8 See also
- 9 Feature requests
Database Statistics - Graphical
Users and GPX uploads
Users (log scale)
Node, way and relation creation
On the following two graphs the statistics count was changed on 2007-08-01. Previous to this date the count includes deleted objects, after this date the count only contains visible objects. This accounts for the drop in numbers at that time.
Users editing nodes or uploading GPX nodes
Nodes and ways added each day
Highly active users
These statistics are generated from the changeset dump from planet.openstreetmap.org and show numbers on users that have actually made edits.
Node edits per contributor per day
First time editors per week
Links to more OSM Database Stats
- Density Maps and Mapping Speed for a few selected countries
- Editor usage stats generated from changeset information since API 0.6.
- Editing frequency generated from changeset information since API 0.6 and synthesized changesets since 0.5.
- Italian stats on length of ways etc.
- tutorial on how to measure highway length per country
- Database Statistics (2005) - Tabular
- Database Statistics (2006) - Tabular
- Database Statistics (2007-01-10)
Have a look at taginfo.openstreetmap.org for up to date worldwide statistics on tag usage.
Contribution percentage by user
Note this is historic data from 2009, a point in time when OSM contained less that 15% of what it contains today (beginning of 2014).
See also: http://apmon.dev.openstreetmap.org/TopChangeContributor.txt (last update was in year 2010 … seems to be only history, too)
Tile usage stats
Third party stats
Some external organisations reviewing/comparing OSM data stats:
- OSM Whats happened? analysis the OSM Change Files to provide data for each day
- OSMatrix for heatmaps of different OSM quality indices and density
- 'Geo-Analytics on OpenStreetMap Road Data' from Beyonav 2011
- Walking Papers has some stats on the usage 
- Taginfo analyzes OSM tag usage. Has many different reports on tags and also on the number of objects in the database
- OSMStats (cloned and improved at http://osmstats.neis-one.org ) shows statistics about OSM users and elements in the database
- Notes stats open bugs and user activity in Notes database
- Germany 2007-2011 Pascal Neis paper analysed in detail
- How did you contribute Stats by Pascal Neis about every individual mapper.
- Stats about added OpenStreetMap Notes – Stats by Pacsal Neis about the Notes feature
- The most densely mapped locations in OSM (image and link to a slippy map version)
- Research – academic papers plus other research and university involvement
- Quality Assurance – tools for tracking (and sometimes statistically analysing) bugs in the data or the data itself
- History of OpenStreetMap – a prose description of the evolution of the project
Put your request on the talk page