|latitude: -13.6, longitude: 28.2|
|Browse map of Zambia 13°36′00″ S, 28°12′00″ E|
|Use this template for your city|
Zambia is a Country in Africa at latitude 13°36′00″ South, longitude 28°12′00″ East.
This page contains information relating to mapping activity that is specific to Zambia. Any guides or conventions on this page can be discusses on the discussion page, feel free to comment or help (mapping your area, taggin streets or correcting this page).
Map of Zambia
So far Zambia has only few users. Hopefully people will start joining the project. We're still looking for support and other contributors in this area. Especially NGOs and International Organizations active in Zambia are encouraged to contribute data.
Need help of locals here!
If you have a goal that you are working towards or one that you would like to see get done (and are maybe willing to get the ball rolling) then add it to the list here, create a section where it can be coordinated and tracked, and a way of measuring progress.
How to participate?
If you have a GPS or a GPS Data Logger device:
- upload your tracks and edit them :)
If you haven't any GPS but are still willing to contribute you can participate in many ways:
- you can enhance this wiki page :)
- you can take contact with other wiki sites (Wikipedia, Wikitravel, etc.) and provide them with image of already mapped area
- you can inventoriate and tagg, using Potlatch with Yahoo imagery or using JOSM if it is already in a mapped area, any POI (point of interest). I think here about schools, universities, hospitals, restaurant, tourist sites or attraction, monuments, parks, train station, piers, forest, etc.
- you can start adding local names to cities, villages, etc.
- you can add the names to rivers, lakes, etc.
- you can take contact with some public surveying institutions and ask them about the licencing of their data. Is there any of their geodata that are compatible with the OpenStreetMap opencontent licence?
- You can start mapping bus road or train tracks (using relations) - perhaps take contact with the main coach to ask about their road and their stop?
- you can download all the data from Zambia area, and make a .img file (with mkgmap) ready to be uploaded to your Garmin or your phone. You can eventually let people know about where one can access it by mentioning it at this page OSM Map On Garmin/Download
Game and Nature Reserves, National Parks
UNOSAT has released a shapefile of flooded areas in the March 2009 Floods.
This data is free to use for non-profit, with attribution to “UNITAR/UNOSAT”.
- François de Ryckel flipo
I'll be more than happy to share with you the latest garmin file (.img) of Zambia to upload to your GPS. Just drop me a mail - (f.deryckel at gmail).
Hello I am a 14 year old programmer whos lives in luangwa zambia I have an etrex 30 and i would be happy to help contribute I could help map luangwa , best regards Landrover110