2010 07 Pakistan Floods
Starting in July 2010, Pakistan was hit by massive flooding due to monsoon rains. While thousands of people have been killed, millions have been displaced, and a quarter million homes are thought to be damaged or destroyed. Additional monsoon rainfall may cause further flooding. Response and relief efforts are underway. Keep up with the latest status reports (and some maps) at ReliefWeb. Additional information may be found at wikipedia:2010 Pakistan floods.
Using OpenStreetMap data
OSM data covers much more that just roads and boundaries, including...
- transportation resources
- water and sanitation infrastructure
- health / medical facilities
- ad hoc settlements = refugee camps
For a complete listing of:
- data extracts
- printable maps
- online map renderings
- routing tools & services
- additional resources
For frequently updated OSM data extacts of various types:
Are you a mapper? Read and contribute to this section to coordinate what to map, where mapping is needed, and using what sources
Use the below mailing lists to channel particpate, coordinate and channel to the OSM project mapping needs, questions, requests for clarifications
Imagery for Tracing and Data Sources
Want to trace imagery? Have vector data sources to share or update? Need to coordinate tiling or rectification of a new source?
Details on satellite and other raster imagery sources for tracing in OSM, and vector data sets for import
- National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) http://www.ndma.gov.pk/flood-2010.html
- Pakistan Meteorological Department (PMD) http://www.pakmet.com.pk/
- Flood Forecasting Division of PMD http://www.pakmet.com.pk/FFD/cp/floodpage0.asp
- One Response on Pakistan Floods 2010: http://www.pakresponse.info/
Tasks and Ideas
Please contribute your ideas and needs here for non-mapping needs. Take on tasks that look interesting and useful. It's important to improve our work as mapping and response progresses.