Featured image proposals
Welcome to Featured image proposals.
Great photos of OpenStreetMap community, maps, or artwork posted here stand a good chance of being made Featured images, giving your picture a week of infamy on the main page of the OpenStreetMap Wiki, plus eternal fame in the archives.
- Image sources / places that might contain interesting OSM stuff:
- Dates to be taken note of when choosing a featured image
- Template:Calendar - Upcoming events that might call for an image
- Parked image proposals. Proposals which didn't go anywhere (but may still be rescued back onto this page)
Global Noise Pollution Map
Visualization of noise pollution for the entire world based on top of OSM data. Link: http://lukasmartinelli.ch/gis/2016/04/03/openstreetmap-noise-pollution-map.html Wille (talk)----
TODO: make an extract and ask for CC permissions on it.
OpenStreetMap in Cuba Conference
Photos CC licensed in https://www.flickr.com/photos/willemarcel/albums/72157667737641821
Between April 25 and 27, took place in Havana the first Intenational Free Software Conference (CubaConf) of Cuba. Many Latin American OSM contributors went to Cuba to give talks about OpenStreetMap and organize a workshop and a mapathon. Blog post Wille (talk)
- Oh yeah I saw your diary entry about Cubaconf. Great photos again. So much South America! -- Harry Wood (talk) 08:52, 17 May 2016 (UTC)
- This one is the OSMers right? https://www.flickr.com/photos/willemarcel/26200514793/ Maybe the best one to take. Unfortunately you've got an NC restriction on that flickr pic -- Harry Wood (talk) 11:09, 4 July 2016 (UTC)
Children empowering themselves through maps
A photo series from Bluefields, Nicaragua, when the local OSM community and UNICEF worked with children and adolescents in schools to help children to empower themselves through the use of maps . I'm not sure which one to take, so I made a collage.
Caption proposal: "Children identifying places of risk in their environment through maps"
Read more about the contextː Bluefields has its first collaborative map
-- User:Xamanu 8:22, 20 May 2016 (UTC)
- I'm trying to space out the Nicaragua themed image of the weeks, but this looks great! Could go for a slightly longer caption (your sentences explaining where it's from would be fine in a caption too) -- Harry Wood (talk) 22:53, 9 July 2016 (UTC)
tourist map Pisa
Via SK53 on IRC. This looks very nice: crowdfunded tourist map for hills around Pisa http://conf.openstreetmap.it/slides/Mappadeimontipisani.org-OSMIT2016.pdf TODO: Choose a nice extract from the PDF and check we can open license that image (guess not a problem) -- Harry Wood (talk) 08:45, 23 May 2016 (UTC)
Plaza del Ejecutivo, Mexico City
Saw a screenshot image of this on twitter: http://blog.alb42.de/programs/mapparium/ No better than any other software screenshot, but we should do more software screenshots really. We can spin a positive caption about this because it's a prime example of OSM data reaching exotic tech platforms!
Another OSM Laser cutting
Another intresting laser image https://twitter.com/_ynunokawa/status/754992929890906112
...or are we bored of those now? :-)
SOTMUS this weekend
It's State Of The Map U.S. 2016 this weekend. I would appreciate some help with "image of the week" from someone at the conference. Can somebody take a good photo (maybe the conference group photo?), upload it to the wiki with photographer & license info, then post it here .... before Sunday evening? ...or (less helpful) just link to a photo elsewhere which has an open license (not with an NC restriction) -- Harry Wood (talk) 09:48, 22 July 2016 (UTC)
- After some twitter cajoling I finally got an open licensed group photo.
- Caption: "State Of The Map U.S. 2016 took place last weekend in Seattle with a packed program of talks, workshops, hacking & mapping"
- featuring this now
- The group photos will soon go up on flickr apparently.
- -- Harry Wood (talk) 17:32, 25 July 2016 (UTC)
Info screen on a Polish bus
Got permission to publish this image after spotting it on twitter but I don't know anything about this other than it's a photo taken on a bus in Poland. I wonder if any Polish OpenStreetMappers can tell us more