Featured image proposals
Welcome to Featured image proposals.
Great photos of OpenStreetMap community, maps, or artwork posted here stand a good chance of being made Featured images, giving your picture a week of infamy on the main page of the OpenStreetMap Wiki, plus eternal fame in the archives.
- 1 Meta stuff:
- 2 OSM Romania
- 3 OSM as base map for crowd-sourced Urban Planning in Helsinki
- 4 Children learning to use OSM at Heidelberg KinderUni
- 5 Giro d'Italia Start - Stage Maps
- 6 The Last Ship
- 7 Osm Poi age of different cities
- 8 Baby Onsie for that future osm contibutor from mapisart.com...
- 9 3D Terrain Models from Paper
- 10 OpenSourceBikeShare
- 11 State Of The Map Taiwan
- 12 Dense Bangladesh mapping
- 13 SOTM Catalonia
- 14 SOTM Scotland drone group photo
- Image sources / places that might contain interesting OSM stuff:
- Dates to be taken note of when choosing a featured image
- Template:Calendar - Upcoming events that might call for an image
- Parked image proposals. Proposals which didn't go anywhere (but may still be rescued back onto this page)
- Points of interest in Romania Evolution 2008-2013 . -- 2014-03-11T20:57:31 Baditaflorin
- Points of interest added in 2013 - pie chart showing the years.  -- 2014-03-11T20:57:31 Baditaflorin
- Before and after pictures of Jimbolia, Romania  -- 2014-03-11T20:57:31 Baditaflorin.
- Thank you for your suggestions, Baditaflorin! Please see my comments above. --Aseerel4c26 (talk) 23:46, 11 March 2014 (UTC)
OSM as base map for crowd-sourced Urban Planning in Helsinki
The local government of Helsinki recently invited comments from residents about future use of land within the city, most notably new housing. The consultation gained an unprecedented 33000 comments from over 19000 residents (details need checking). The final results have been announced with a summary of the location of all suggestions from citizens overlayed on OSM. Again the status of the data (license/attribution in the overlay) is not clear. If this is suitable perhaps a member of the OSM-SU community (or at least someone who can read Finnish) could liaise with the maps creators. If this image is to be used it is best used close to the date of the announcement. SK53 (talk) 12:24, 24 March 2014 (UTC)
- The OSM-attribution seems to be missing, so I wouldn't feature it as iotw. --LordOfMaps (talk) 17:24, 13 April 2014 (UTC)
- Actually the blog links through to a larger image where the attribution is present (looks like a screenshot of a slippy map). In fact we get credit for "data", which makes it sound like we did the whole thing! I think we can use it ...except, as SK53 said, we don't necessarily have permission to show the overlay.
- There's also a link to this PDF which has several map images (with screenshotted attribution) Would be better if we got a credits mention in the document text ("Reasonable for the medium") but it's adequate I would say. We're only the basemap after all.
- In that doc there is a link to another interesting looking map: http://esimerkki1.asiatkartalle.fi which may be using OSM, but without attribution (or may not be)
- -- Harry Wood (talk) 13:22, 22 April 2014 (UTC)
Children learning to use OSM at Heidelberg KinderUni
For the GIScience Blog of Heidelberg University: .
There are several images on the blog, and one does not show the kids faces () in case there are any concerns on this front. We would need to check with Prof. Dr. Zipf if it is OK to use any of these images.
--User:SK53 09:19, 5 April 2014
- Nice. - Please check with Prof. Dr. Zipf and propose a description. --LordOfMaps (talk) 11:37, 5 April 2014 (UTC)
Giro d'Italia Start - Stage Maps
The 2014 Giro d'Italia is starting from Belfast on Friday May 9th 2014 and the first 3 stages are in Northern Ireland and Ireland. There is a dedicated site for these stages and they feature OSM based maps as viewable .pngs. There are 3 maps in total, and they look pretty nice (having been passed through Maperitive)
Stage 1 - Belfast Team Time Trial
Stage 2 - Belfast - Giant's Causeway - Belfast
Stage 3 - Armagh - Dublin
(linking as they're slightly big)
The maps are attributed cc-by-sa, but you can't have everything I suppose..
- The Giro d'Italia Maps are OSM based since a couple of years ago :-) If I recall correctly the designer wrote one time in the italian mailing list, he was using Maperitive --Sarchittuorg (talk) 14:12, 28 April 2014 (UTC)
The Last Ship
In season finale of TNT show The Last Ship (produced by Michael Bay), they use a known map. I leave this here, but I don't know if it's compatible with wiki license... http://imgur.com/Ivj76KD --Sarchittuorg (talk) 07:11, 8 September 2014 (UTC)
Osm Poi age of different cities
-- User:Baditaflorin 20:39, 6 October 2014
- I like them! Which is your favourite city? I like the look of Moscow.
- Also I assume you're willing share open licensed, since you're posting this suggestion here? Best thing is if you upload an actual image on the wiki with a license
- -- Harry Wood (talk) 01:55, 17 February 2015 (UTC)
Baby Onsie for that future osm contibutor from mapisart.com...
User:Tripmapisart 21:48, 2 February 2015
- Looks cute :-) The second one shows more of the map
- The photo is labelled as (C) copyright all rights reserved on flickr there. Are you the photographer? You can set it as CC licensed on flickr or upload a copy of your photo to this wiki.
- We need permission from the photographer, and I guess in this case we'd want to know that the photographer is also a parent giving permission for this photo to be shared widely as image of the week. Are you the kid's parent?
- -- Harry Wood (talk) 01:12, 17 February 2015 (UTC)
3D Terrain Models from Paper
I use blade cutter machine, Maperitive, few Ruby scripts and Mapquest elevation API to create terrain models from paper. The source codes along with description and SVG file for cutting are published on my blog.
-- Peter.vojtek 10:09, 28 April 2015
- These are pretty neat. But they use terrain data, not OpenStreetMap right? -- Harry Wood (talk) 02:29, 31 May 2015 (UTC)
State Of The Map Taiwan
Looking at the flickr stream today my eye skipped over the photos of SOTM Taiwan ( http://sotm.tw ) because I thought they were just the slightly older SOTM Latam pictures. Oopse. Sorry about that. We should line up a SOTM Taiwan picture for next week. Maybe a montage. Anyone want to have a go at doing that -- Harry Wood (talk) 16:36, 21 September 2015 (UTC)
I should've asked somebody to do it in advance because now it's Monday and I just know that the fastest way to do it now is to do it myself...
So here we go. I've made a montage:
Note sure what else to say about it
Someone should create a State Of The Map Taiwan 2015 wiki page
- WOW!Great to see SOTM Taiwan photo last week on the Featured image! Supaplex (talk) 10:47, 28 September 2015 (UTC)
- Not last week. This week. I just put it as featured image today. So you were at this conference hey Supaplex? What d'you think about creating a State Of The Map Taiwan 2015 wiki page? Would be nice to be able link it from the main lists on State Of The Map. -- Harry Wood (talk) 10:53, 28 September 2015 (UTC)
Dense Bangladesh mapping
SOTM Scotland drone group photo
Some other nice SOTM Scotland pics by Chris Fleming
- I thought I'd feature the SOTM Catalonia picture first because A) Ed Freyfogle responded more quickly last night with the suggestion in the first place and the permissions and hi-res image, although, if it was a race, it was quite close. B) This image is cool, but it doesn't quite capture the SOTM Scotland conference itself, so I was pondering whether it could be mashed together in a montage with some other pics.
- So I'll either feature this image next week, or (if I get time, and if some more good pics show up on the flickr stream with a suitable license) I'll create a montage. ...or of course someone could always do this for me!
- -- Harry Wood (talk) 11:22, 5 October 2015 (UTC)