Featured image proposals
Welcome to Featured image proposals.
Great photos of OpenStreetMap community, maps, or artwork posted here stand a good chance of being made Featured images, giving your picture a week of infamy on the main page of the OpenStreetMap Wiki, plus eternal fame in the archives.
- Image sources / places that might contain interesting OSM stuff:
- Dates to be taken note of when choosing a featured image
- Template:Calendar - Upcoming events that might call for an image
- Parked image proposals. Proposals which didn't go anywhere (but may still be rescued back onto this page)
Great image. ...though I'm mildly distracted by the messy (and I would say inadequate) credits
Using Sentinel2 images
Before and after using new Sentinel2 as an alternative to Landsat satellite images Sentinels Scientific Data Hub
-- User:Harrierco 14:09, 3 January 2016
- Although the featured image is display at 400px wide on the wiki Main Page we prefer to have the image uploaded at a larger resolution (the wiki scales down the image automatically). In this case that seems quite important as I find myself squinting to understand what I'm looking at.
- I don't really understand the image in general. This needs more explaining. Sentinel2 is an alternative imagery source available to us is it? Could we create a "Sentinel-2" wiki page explaining more about it (including licensing/permissions information) and that could then be linked from this caption.
- -- Harry Wood (talk) 11:35, 13 January 2016 (UTC)
Saw this tweet: https://twitter.com/ericdu22/status/689935380066471939 -- Harry Wood 10:31, 22 January 2016
The final image is here
It is realized with a big machine (laser cutter) hosted by FabLab Lannion and using data coming from OpenStreetMap.
The images are available under CC-BY-SA-3.0 license.
-- User:Brelevenix 22:28, 28 January 2016
Cool. I actually liked the tweeted photo best though (laser cutting action!)
But we can write lots of detail and include the finished map and the machine image on the description page for that one, which people will get to when they click the image.
Colombia mountain track mapping
Saw this tweet: https://twitter.com/soyLaTigra/status/690189569128538112
and got permission
I hadn't realised, but I think it's actually the same people who were at the Colombia event described above. And there's Mapper in the Spotlight: Fredy Rivera (Colombia) diary entry all about it. So it's already had some attention.
Nice image though. Space them out and have this one in a few weeks time
Italian Local Chapter
Martijn van Exel (OpenStreetMap Foundation) and Simone Cortesi (WikiMedia Italia) signing the agreement between OSMF and WMI for the Italian Chapter
- We're prepping a blog post about this, so could use the image on the blog post instead -- Harry Wood (talk) 11:32, 2 February 2016 (UTC)
Tandale slum, Tanzania
Impressive high detail map of Tandale slum in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania