Featured image proposals
Welcome to Featured image proposals.
Great photos of OpenStreetMap community, maps, or artwork posted here stand a good chance of being made Featured images, giving your picture a week of infamy on the main page of the OpenStreetMap Wiki, plus eternal fame in the archives.
Global Noise Pollution Map
Visualization of noise pollution for the entire world based on top of OSM data. Link: http://lukasmartinelli.ch/gis/2016/04/03/openstreetmap-noise-pollution-map.html Wille (talk)----
Saw a screenshot image of this on twitter: http://blog.alb42.de/programs/mapparium/ No better than any other software screenshot, but we should do more software screenshots really. We can spin a positive caption about this because it's a prime example of OSM data reaching exotic tech platforms!
Indoor mapping presented at WhereCamp Berlin
Apparently indoor mapping was a big topic and WhereCamp Berlin recently. Simon Poole was suggesting looking for an image from that. Anyone got a specific image to suggest?
I spotted this nice animated image https://twitter.com/tbsprs/status/794979018038710272 So I (or someone) could chase the licensing on that
- OpenStationMap seems neat, and quite visually interesting
- I got a photo of Roland Wagner presenting it at geomob, but that's a bit blurry. The screenshot is better
- -- Harry Wood (talk) 23:22, 17 May 2017 (UTC)
- No other proposals so I'm featuring this now with the caption
- "Large railway stations often include shops and other features inside them. OpenStationMap (openstationmap.org reveals indoor mapping data (where it has been added) specifically for railway stations"
- -- Harry Wood (talk) 23:01, 23 May 2017 (UTC)
Creating MapRoulette Challenges from GeoJSON
- Yeah it's a good tutorial to draw attention to, but I can't particularly see a stand out image there. -- Harry Wood (talk) 10:50, 13 December 2016 (UTC)
Bus stops of Rosario and Buenos Aires
It needs a better marker for the bus stops, but can be an idea to a post in the future: https://twitter.com/OpenStreetMapAR/status/834933019928571904 There are a lot of bus routes mapped in both cities as well. --Wille (talk) 01:42, 24 February 2017 (UTC)
Statistics Canada Building Import Project & Crowd Sourcing
Before the import was started the building scape looked like the picture above
After the import was done and the community pitched in to finish the Gatineau side the building scape is a lot more detailed
- We could link to wiki information about the import in the caption. This one right? Canada:Ontario:Ottawa/Import But those wiki pages need tidying up a bit I think -- Harry Wood (talk) 01:13, 17 April 2017 (UTC)
- Saw another nice image of Ottowa buildings here https://twitter.com/julconz/status/864561955146801152
- I've just been trying to describe what I mean by "tidying up" a bit more. Firstly basic status info is not up-to-date: Talk:Canada:Ontario:Ottawa/Import#Status of the import?. As mentioned here: Talk:Canada:Ontario:Ottawa/Import/Plan#Structure of the Plan I think we could create a new page to describe the import actually (and use this image there first)
- Now I wouldn't normally attach great importance to having a tidy wiki page describing something for a featured image, however I do feel that we should not celebrate imports unless they are done properly (and can be seen to have been done properly). I reckon a little bit of post-import wiki tidying effort will go a long way.
- -- Harry Wood (talk) 23:16, 17 May 2017 (UTC)
OSM and Missing Maps on TV programme
A TV programme of the British channel Sky News highlighted the OpenStreetMap mapathons that have been organized by the Missing Maps project in London. The video is available on YouTube. I made a screenshot, but I'm not sure if the copyright allow us to publish in a open license: http://imgur.com/a/SFR8z --Wille (talk) 18:17, 14 April 2017 (UTC)