Featured image proposals
Welcome to Featured image proposals.
Great photos of OpenStreetMap community, maps, or artwork posted here stand a good chance of being made Featured images, giving your picture a week of infamy on the main page of the OpenStreetMap Wiki, plus eternal fame in the archives.
- Image sources / places that might contain interesting OSM stuff:
- Dates to be taken note of when choosing a featured image
- Template:Calendar - Upcoming events that might call for an image
- Parked image proposals. Proposals which didn't go anywhere (but may still be rescued back onto this page)
Global Noise Pollution Map
Visualization of noise pollution for the entire world based on top of OSM data. Link: http://lukasmartinelli.ch/gis/2016/04/03/openstreetmap-noise-pollution-map.html Wille (talk)----
Saw a screenshot image of this on twitter: http://blog.alb42.de/programs/mapparium/ No better than any other software screenshot, but we should do more software screenshots really. We can spin a positive caption about this because it's a prime example of OSM data reaching exotic tech platforms!
Indoor mapping presented at WhereCamp Berlin
Apparently indoor mapping was a big topic and WhereCamp Berlin recently. Simon Poole was suggesting looking for an image from that. Anyone got a specific image to suggest?
I spotted this nice animated image https://twitter.com/tbsprs/status/794979018038710272 So I (or someone) could chase the licensing on that
Creating MapRoulette Challenges from GeoJSON
- Yeah it's a good tutorial to draw attention to, but I can't particularly see a stand out image there. -- Harry Wood (talk) 10:50, 13 December 2016 (UTC)
http://osmlanduse.org I think it's a new thing. googlemapsmania picked up on it but maybe just the website & interface is new. Maybe the background map style has been around for a while. "Background map by Maxim Rylov - OpenMapSurfer Roads". Screenshot should include the pie chart bit anyway I guess. -- Harry Wood (talk) 15:55, 20 December 2016 (UTC)
- Oh I see they're all collaborators at the factory OSM awesomeness they call "Universität Heidelberg" :-) I have emailed them to ask for permission -- Harry Wood (talk) 23:13, 12 February 2017 (UTC)
- OK got permission. An email from Alexander Zipf. "we are very happy about it. sure, just go ahead", so I'm uploading the above.
- Featuring this now, since we're overdue again.
Figuring out the best place to live in Helsinki
RichardF suggested this: Figuring out the best place to live in Helsinki
TODO: ask about licensing it & upload
- I have emailed Lauri Vanhala to ask for permissions, but left it a bit late -- Harry Wood (talk) 23:00, 12 February 2017 (UTC)
- OK heard back from Lauri and explained that we can't have an NC restriction. Got permission, so we're good to go with the above image
- Caption: "Lauri Vanhala took OpenStreetMap buildings in Helsinki, analysed the location of jobs and travel times from every building, and produced this map to help decide the best place to live. Browse the full map and read more on this blog"
- Unless there's something more topical for next week, I'll schedule this one
- -- Harry Wood (talk) 22:17, 17 February 2017 (UTC)
OpenLabs Albania Mapathon
OSM Mapathon at OpenLabs Albania, a hackerspace in the city of Tirana that are organizing a lot of activities related to OpenStreetMap, Wikipedia and FLOSS. In that mapathon they used FieldPapers. Photo by Anxhelo Lushka. --Wille (talk) 19:05, 18 February 2017 (UTC)
- I like to use "Mapathon" to mean armchair mapping gatherings, and "Mapping Party" to mean this kind of thing... but maybe that's just me.
- Anyway that's cool. And since this happened recently... featuring this one for tomorrow
- -- Harry Wood (talk) 14:12, 19 February 2017 (UTC)
Bus stops of Rosario and Buenos Aires
It needs a better marker for the bus stops, but can be an idea to a post in the future: https://twitter.com/OpenStreetMapAR/status/834933019928571904 There are a lot of bus routes mapped in both cities as well. --Wille (talk) 01:42, 24 February 2017 (UTC)