Foundation/Local Chapters/United States/Minutes-2016-01-25
From OpenStreetMap Wiki
- Not necessarily looking for perfect proposal. As much as you can build out a vision and feasibly, logistics, time of event etc.
- Common thread - Mapping centric and stronger mapping community
- Want to experiment with building community in a different way
- Last year helped to show OSM to outside community. This yeat how can we grow OSM in the country?
- What is the Selection Criteria?
Vision for SOTM US
- Attraction to new people
- Easily accessible
- This year OSM US is much more open to new ideas
- Degree to which you are committed will help the selection
- Make sure timing of conference does not conflict with other major open data conferences.
Deadline for submitting Proposals
- February 15th
- What is the Cost Structure? Varied based on logistics and venue
- Initial upfront costs - OSM US can probably cover most upfront costs
- What rate do you recoup the expenses through ticket sales?
- As early as possible with enough lead time to plan
- Keep an eye out for Jewish holidays. Seems to be high conference times.
- National Day of Civic Hacking is June 4th
- Not to the same time of State of the Map International 2016 - Sept 22-25th
- Asia State of Map (most likely Manila) after September
- HOT Summit before/after International State of the Map Late September
- 200 Portland 2012
- 300 SF 2013
- 400 DC 2014
- 800 NYC 2015
- This year we are looking at a lower number based on the fact that it is not NYC at the UN.
- Do not focus on numbers, but more about the goal of what we want to achieve at the conference.
- Clifford - Get as many people to come. more mappers. Would lower costs help
- Mikel - Should communicate out the idea of multiple events idea. Local working group run by Martijn
- Board can help with any conversations or additional support needed for sleeting venues.
- Can we See having multiple events instead of one STOM US? (Martijn) - Open to proposal and ideas for both.
- Focus on a strong mapping centric conference
- We have Planning tools to help with specific numbers
- Board can help with planning
- Would like to have more scholarships to bring more local OSM contributors to the conference
- Do we publish Meeting notes and financials? - We are in the process of making them public.
- The board will support any team selected during the process.
- Camille Cassidy - Digital Globe - Denver, Colorado
- Clifford - Seattle, Washington
- Brett Lord-Castillo - St Louis, Missouri