Foundation/Local Chapters/United States
|U.S. Main||News||Projects||Tags||TIGER fixup|
How can you participate?
- Contribute to OSM through mapping parties, individual mapping and OSM editing, and local mapping events
- Join OpenStreetMap United States
- Join a working group
We strive to support the OpenStreetMap project in the United States through fostering awareness, ensuring broad availability of data, continuous quality improvement, and an active community.
Board of Directors
- Alex Barth - Secretary
- Jim McAndrew - Vice President
- John Novak - At-Large
- Martijn van Exel - President
- Randy Hale - Treasurer
The chapter board holds 30 minute weekly meetings and schedules larger meetings when necessary.
Next weekly meeting
April 22nd 2013, 5PM Pacific, 6PM Mountain, 8PM Eastern
We use Google Hangout for our board meetings for now. You need a Google account to join the Hangouts, but the minutes are being made available to everyone.
- Minutes of regular meetings
- Annual General Meeting of 2012 was held at State Of The Map US 2012.
State of the Map US
The State of the Map US 2013 takes place in San Francisco from June 8 - 9. On June 7 there will be workshops and on June 10 there will be a sprint day.
To date, the US Chapter has organized two State Of The Map US conferences:
See also dates for the international State of the Map
Get involved by tuning in on meetings of the Technical and Imports Working Group or by simply dropping an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for any of the other activities like community outreach, running Virtual Mappy Hours, getting involved in conference planning, planning #editathons, press work or fundraising.
The Chapter has $5000 in server hardware and $2000 in promotional materials.
Servers are administered by Ian Dees, but he is working on documentation to allow others to assist in administration. The servers are currently used to host openstreetmap.us and TopOSM. Hosting costs are donated by visi.com and OSU's Open Source Lab.
Ian is working on setting up a rendering database as of 16 September 2011. His goals are:
- Near term: I'd like to get Richard's shields overlay rendering and start working with people interested in getting a US-specific rendering going.
- Longer term: I'd like to find storage for helping service aerial imagery, try to get another JXAPI instance going, and start implementing "alternative OSM APIs" for people interested in mapping stuff that wouldn't otherwise fit into OSM (e.g. historical maps, Burning Man, etc.) 
Server specifications can be seen on the Servers subpage.
The first financial report for 2010-2011 is being worked on as of 15 September 2011, and is expected to be published at the next member meeting to be held in the next few weeks or months.
The US Chapter of OpenStreetMap is incorporated as of 19 April 2010.
Code of conduct examples
This is a work in progress, but a template under consideration is the Wikipedia code of conduct.