Humanitarian OSM Team/Haiti Strategy And Proposal/Mission 3
HOT is grateful to
- World Bank for the funding this cycle of 2 HOT missions (May-June 2010).
- Open Geo for acting as the institutional vehicle of HOT in these deploys.
- Esri for contributing hardware and software
- CNIGS, IOM, OCHA and WFP for support in-country.
Primary scope: support current relief work and disaster preparedness activities as organized in the overall contingency plan for Haiti.
- Continue OSM-based training and surveying programs with international, national and civil society actors.
- Consolidate the Haitian instance of the "HOT SDI" articulating OSM to geodata management solutions in place in Haiti (UN clusters & CNIGS/DPC/DINEPA)
- Populate OSM with baselines and humanitarian data
- Stabilize the HOT OSM Kit
- New version of the Humanitarian Data Model (HDM) associated to questionnaires and presets
- New version of the HOT Humanitarian Field Guide series
- Consolidate existing capacities in Port Au Prince (PAP), Jacmel & Leogane into functional Haitian OSM nodes:
- autonomous in surveying and editing with OSM techniques
- autonomous in using OSM resources in GIS map production environment (ESRI and OSGeo stack)
- animated by internationals, nationals and civil society
- furnished with an OSM kit (GPS units, workstation and printers) accessible to OSM Haiti mappers in a secured office space with internet access
- active pursuing training and surveying work initiated during the mission based on the model of the OSM-based baseline surveys in Port Au Prince lead by IOM.
- Start building capacities in Haitian secondary hubs
- North: Gonaive and Cap Haitien
- Centre: Petit and Grand Goave, Gressier
- South West: Les Cayes, Jeremie
- Support the building of OSM-based rapid mapping capacities in CNIGS and in UN clusters
Longer term secondary scope.
- Enrich the HOT OSM kit with google android-based field asssessment and editing packages
- Run feasibility study for community mapping projects ala MapKibera in precarious neighborhoods
- Support institutionalizing OSM Haiti
- Support establishing an Haitian OSM academic ecosystem
- Support establishing an Haitian OSM economic ecosystem
See scope and activities from the Missions Commonalities page for details and presentations on
- overall scope of this cycle of missions
The HOT Package is comprehensive of inter alia
- Humanitarian Data Model (HDM)
- HDM-aligned questionnaires to conduct field surveys
- HDM-aligned JOSM presets to guide editing sessions
- Humanitarian field guide series to surveying, editing and using osm in GIS.