This page lists recommendation for tagging things in Iran. See also WikiProject Iran.
- OSM highway tags correspond to the Iranian tags in the following way (see http://www.ketabeavval.ir/Information/456.aspx for exact definitions):
- motorway = آزادراه (clearly marked with blue road signs)
- trunk = بزرگراه (green road signs or explicit mention of "بزرگراه" in cities means trunk. outside cities roads with green signs that meet the definition provided by the law)
- primary = شریانی اصلی (white road signs inside cities. green outside cities, for difference with trunk outside cities see above)
- secondary = شریانی فرعی (white road signs both inside and outside cities)
- unclassified = معابر محلی
- residential = معابر محلی (در حالتی که فقط برای دسترسی به مناطق مسکونی استفاده شوند)
Iran does not distinguish towns and cities. But as the distinction is useful, for a shahr with a population of more than 100,000, use "city", but for a shahr with a population under 100,000, use "town". The Statistics center of Iran provides a list of such "city"es at http://www.sci.org.ir/content/userfiles/_sci/sci/SEL/f02/cs_02_10.html.
For Persian names, use "name" for the largest part or parts of the street sign. So, if the name of the street is "خیابان شهید مهندس ولیالله صادقی" with "صادقی" written in a large font and the other parts in a small font, use only "صادقی" for the name=* tag. You might want to record the complete name in the full_name:fa=* tag.
If you have information in English show it in the name:en=* tag. If there is a street sign that has the name in English, use that (expand the abbreviations if any and use proper capitalization, so "6TH Dd. END" on the sign becomes "6th Dead End"). Use the english text, if available, and use the exact spelling, but if there is only a persian sign, do a transcription/translation yourself. For example, "خیابان نظر شرقی" becomes "East Nazar Street".
Always use the newest signs on the street, if the signs show different names. In Tehran, the white on dark blue signs are usually the latest signs and also show English names. The blue on white signs that are installed on the walls are older and show more inconsistencies.
Example from the street pictured on the right:
name=قدس میرحیدری name:en=Qods Mirheydari Street Optionally: full_name:fa=خیابان شهید سید عباس قدس میرحیدری
There may be other conventions in places outside Tehran.
There is a general numbering practice in many of the streets in Tehran. Some streets only use numbers such as "خیابان بیستوپنجم" and some have names, accompanied by numbers written in digits and in smaller fonts (as can be seen in the picture.) However, a combination of these two forms of numbering are used; e. g. after a "25th Street" you'd very probably see "Qods Mirheydari Street" with a small "27" on the street sign.
- We use amenity=newsagent (the British name of the thing) for newsstands, with
newsagent_codeif there is a code (like روزنامهفروشی کد ۵۳ as labeled on the stand).
=for telephones which only work with phonecards, and telephone_type=coin for coin-operated ones.
branch_code:fafor branch name and codes of Iranian banks (
- amenity=car_wash for car washes.
- For research centers, use amenity=research