From OpenStreetMap Wiki
|The general type and purpose of a given garden|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: In use|
|Tools for this tag|
For specifying general type of garden use garden:type=*.
- garden:type=botanical - Botanical gardens are scientifically structured and labelled collections of living plants with the purpose of scientific research, conservation, display or education.
- garden:type=community - Located in parks or other public spaces, community gardens are operated by an informal group of local residents. To some, community gardening is a leisurely social activity. To others, it is a response to concerns about food security.
- garden:type=residential - The most common form of garden, located in proximity to a residence, usually private access only. The main purpose is usually relaxation activities - it doesn't really matter if it is a plain lawn, or complex garden in French style.
If the garden has one major aesthetic of functional style, use garden:style=*, e.g.
- garden:style=english - See .
- garden:style=french - See .
- garden:style=chinese - See .
- garden:style=japanese - See .
- garden:style=kitchen - Used for growing fruit and vegetable, etc.
- garden:style=herb_garden - Used to grow herbs (spices and medical plants)
- garden:style=rosarium - A garden where mostly roses are grown (not a single bed of roses inside a larger garden area).
- garden:style=zen - The Japanese rock gardens (枯山水) or "dry landscape" gardens, see on Wikipedia.