London Congestion Charge
The London Congestion Charge ( ) is a traffic zone where motor vehicles entering the area pay £11.50 a day (as of 1 August 2016) to drive on roads inside the Ring Road ( ). The toll operates from 7am to 6pm on weekends, public holidays or between Christmas Day and New Year's Day (inclusive). The toll can be partially or fully suspended during major incidents.
In 2013, Amaroussi identified the need to map the ten-year old charging zone because some road navigation systems were using OpenStreetMap - the absence of such indicators meant that some drivers were accidentally driving into the zone without being aware of the cost. It is extraordinary that in nearly ten years of OpenStreetMap, the London Congestion Charge or Singapore's ERP have not been properly mapped.
- toll:motor_vehicle=yes - global toll value for all motor vehicles
- toll:motorcycle=no - motorcycles exempt
- toll:psv=no - buses and taxis exempt
- fee=Mo-Fr 07:00-18:00 - operation hours using same syntax as opening_hours=*
- fee:amount=£11.50 per day - daily fee
- name=London Congestion Charge
The full list of automatic exemptions can be found at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/congestioncharging/17098.aspx (Transport for London).
The London Ring Road ( ) is a toll-free circular primary route. It is not the boundary of the London Congestion Charge because of the service roads into private premises (such as a petrol station) and slip roads connecting to roads outside the zone (such as the anti-clockwise connection to the northbound A41), but it is the smallest circular trip possible without entering the zone.
Notice to routing software developers
The London Congestion Charge is now on the live map:
- If your routing software supports toll warnings, driving into the area within type=toll must trigger a toll warning. or any similar area tagged with
- If your routing software supports avoiding tolls, routes that avoid tolls must avoid the driving into the area within type=toll. or any similar area tagged with
- If your routing software supports multiple modes as well, the toll warnings apply only to all motor vehicles except motorcycles, taxi or bus.