Mapbox (mapbox.com) offers commercial mapping services. Many of them use OpenStreetMap data and involve large open-source efforts. Mapbox is a main contributor to the Mapnik renderer project, it helped create the new web editor iD and it created Tilemill, the software used to design the OpenStreetMap map style. Mapbox employs a data team actively improving the map.
Tools and products
- Mapbox GL – libraries for embedding customizable vector slippy maps into Web, mobile, desktop, and command-line applications
- Mapbox for Unity
- Mapbox Streets - an OpenStreetMap based minutely updated scalable map service
- Mapbox Studio - A desktop map design and rendering studio
- TileMill - a desktop map design and rendering studio (phasing out in favor of Mapbox Studio)
- CartoCSS - CSS-inspired language for styling maps, used both in TileMill and Mapbox Studio
- MBTiles - an efficient tile storage schema for mobile apps
- Mapbox Vector Tile Specification - a specification for a lightweight scalable vector tile format
- To-Fix - a micro tasking manager (GitHub)
- OSM QA Tiles Daily OpenStreetMap planet dump as vector tiles. Available as country and historical extracts
- OSM changeset map Visualize a changeset on an interactive GL map like achavi
- OSM Comments Find unreplied changeset comments and notes of a user
- OSMCHA A custom instance of OSM Changeset Analyzer to find and query changesets by certain properties
- OSM Diary A live feed of the latest diary posts from the data team at Mapbox
- OSM navigation map A map to explore Mapillary images to add navigation data to OSM like turn restrictions and oneways
- minjur Convert .osm data to .geojson
- tippecanoe Convert .geojson data to .mbtiles vector tiles
- osmlint Validate OSM data using tile-reduce
- osm-compare Compare two versions of an OSM feature
- osm-edit-report - Visualize edit count of a mapping team as a graph updated hourly
- osmi-data-processor - Process QA issues from OSM Inspector as a csv file
- osm-history-processor - Process changests of a mapping team from a give time range as a .osm file
- josm to-fix plugin - JOSM plugin to integrate to-fix issues
- Mapping with OpenStreetMap - An easy to follow visual guide for beginners who want to become power mappers with JOSM
They also provide various tilesets that can be used by customers:
- Mapbox Streets - a general-purpose tileset
- Mapbox Outdoors - an outdoors focused tileset with trails and high resolution terrain data
- OSM Bright - a starter style for creating your own OpenStreetMap design
Mapbox Data Team
The Mapbox Data Team continuously improves OpenStreetMap by fixing errors and adding data using open data sources. All active mapping tasks are ticketed and documented in our mapping repository.
Here are the OpenStreetMap user accounts of the Mapbox data team. For any questions, please get in touch with the team member listed or with Arun Ganesh. These are only the user names of people systematically updating OpenStreetMap as part of their job at Mapbox. There are many other Mapbox team members mapping on OpenStreetMap as a hobby - they are not listed here.
- Rub21 Ruben Lopez
- ediyes Edith Quispe
- Luis36995 Luis Alanya
- dannykath Danny Aiquipa
- RichRico Richman Pariona
- andygol Andrey Golovin
- ruthmaben Ruth Maben
- samely Eliane Joyo
- calfarome Cesar Alfaro
- PlaneMad Arun Ganesh
- srividya_c Srividya Bharadwaj
- Chetan_Gowda Chetan Gowda
- ramyaragupathy Ramya Ragupathy
- lxbarth Alex Barth
- nikhilprabhakar Nikhil Prabhakar
- jinalfoflia Jinal Foflia
- pratikyadav Pratik Yadav
- aarthy Aarthy Chandrasekhar
- oini Oindrila Gupta
- Jothirnadh Jothirnadh Guthula
- saikabhi Abhishek Saikia
- geohacker Sajjad Anwar
- shvrm Shiv Ramachandran
- karitotp Karito Tenorio Palomino
- manings Maning Sambale
- sanjayb Sanjay Bhangar
- Arunasank Aruna S
- nammala Krishna Nammala
- poornibadrinath Poornima Badrinath
- ajithranka Ajith Ranka
- ridixcr Pavel Baez
- manoharuss Manohar Erikipati
- piligab Pilar Serrano
- yurasi Galia Eyzaguirre
- BharataHS Bharata Srinivasa
- Amisha Singla Amisha Singla
- upendrakarukonda Upendra Yadav
- Fa7C0n Gokul Ganesan
- kepta Kushan Joshi
- bhousel Bryan Housel
- pmoody Paige Moody
The list of data team OSM user accounts is also maintained as an npm module.
Data Team Guidelines
In addition to the rules that apply to everyone in the community, here are the guidelines the Mapbox team reiterates and adds for themselves:
- We listen to community. We are looking for your feedback on how to make a better map. Get any time in touch with any of the our data team members. For general feedback message Arun Ganesh.
- Quality is paramount. We hold ourselves to the highest mapping standards as documented on the OpenStreetMap Wiki or as established as common practice in the community.
- Local knowledge first. Where in any doubt, the locally surveyed information prevails over remote updates.
- We disclose all ongoing mapping efforts on the Mapbox mapping repository.
- All full time data team members will be listed here on this OpenStreetMap Wiki page and identified on their user profiles.
- Where possible we use public tools for coordinating work, allowing anyone in the community to participate.
- The Paid Mappers are Coming talk at State of the Map US June 2015 by lxbarth
- How we apply map feedback April 2015 by PlaneMad
- Streamlining map feedback February 2015 by Tristen Brown
- Improve the map - in seconds January 2015 by lxbarth
- The Mapbox OpenStreetMap Data Team Guidelines September 2014 by lxbarth
Please send any general feedback on Mapbox's work on OpenStreetMap to Arun Ganesh.