Night of the living maps/own
|Whats that?||Join||Start own||Promotion||Results|
Night of the living maps is a global mapping event, but it consists of people organising the local events.
So here is a how to get started with your own event:
|Invited local mappers? Announced to media?|
|Got IT equipment? (Laptops, mouses, projector, cables, Wifi, power connector...)|
|Added a Template:Night of the living maps to your local wiki page for your city?|
|Added a Template:User notlm to your user page?|
|Got digicam, webcam, printed maps?|
|Got junk food and coffee?|
- Find a good location (ideally with a computer pool)
- Activate your local mapping community (you need to delegate jobs)
- Print a giant map of your state or region (for coordination of the teamwork)
- Try to find local sponsors
- Contact local media (you want to get attention or some cool radio music while mapping)
- Print posters, flyers, contact everybody that might be interested
- Occupy your room, put out directions (e.g. hints on the floor)
- DO MAPPING :)
How to get your event on the NOTLM map:
In order for mappers close by to find your party, let it show up on the worldwide NOTML map.
Just use a Template:Night of the living maps on the OSM-wiki page where you announce the party (e.g. your city's wiki page) and put in the required information. The user:UserGroupsBot searches the OSM wiki periodically for the template and eventually puts your party locations on the map, too.