For HaptoRender I have created a braille true type font compatible with OSM license.
--Lulu-Ann 14:31, 11 June 2009 (UTC)
Current Version: 0.01
You can preview an image of the font here: File:OSM Braille.doc
You can download the font (.ttf file) here: OSM Braille
- Thanks for looking for a new font, but the ones on this page have replacements for the empty spaces, and what we need is pure braille, for blind persons, not for sighted persons with hints where the non present dots are. --Lulu-Ann 14:18, 2 August 2010 (BST)
There are different ways to use abbreviations in braille writing of the different languages. Currently there are no abbreviations used, for several reasons:
- The abbreviations are different for different languages. As OSM is an international project, this would be needed to be considered.
- Geographic names contain more frequently letter combinations that do not fit to standard orthographic rules. With single letter substitution confusion is avoided.
Limitations of Braille
- Capital letters and lowercase letters are the same.
- At least for norwegian braille there is a symbol that means the following text is uppercase. -- Bobkare 19:19, 20 June 2009 (UTC)
- Numbers must be introduced with the character "#".
Limitations of this font version
- The current version contains latin letters and arabic numbers.
- German Umlauts (ä,ö,ü,Ä,Ö,Ü,ß) are included.
- Included are ,.!#*-;:? and ()
Could the font just have symbols for the unicode braille symbols instead? Sounds bad to do braille table mapping (which varies between countries) in the font. Use something like liblouis to convert to braille, that can do contractions to. -- Bobkare 19:19, 20 June 2009 (UTC)
- Who would want contractions in street names? Who wants to give a language default on any name tag, to know which contractions apply for this name in this language? Which contractions apply to the street John-F.-Kennedy-Allee in Germany in the area where Sorbian is spoken? If anybody can answer these questions, we can proceed with this topic. Sorry, I don't see a chance yet. If you simply want more localized letters, you can contact me. Remember, this is version 0.1!--Lulu-Ann 00:46, 24 June 2009 (UTC)