OpenSeaMap and Garmin nautical chart plotter
OpenSeaMap works on built-in Garmin Chartplotters of the GPSMAP series and on actual handhelds.
|Revier||gmapsupp.img for SD-card||PC-Version for MapSource||Update||Comments|
|Europe Central (Next Generation)||Download gmapsupp.img||Download MS-Version||twice per month|
|Europe Central||Download gmapsupp.img||Download MS-Version||outdated version|
|Europe North||Download gmapsupp.img||Download MS-Version||outdated version|
|Europe South||Download gmapsupp.img||Download MS-Version||outdated version|
|America Central||Download gmapsupp.img||Download MS-Version||outdated version|
|America Northeast||Download gmapsupp.img||Download MS-Version||outdated version|
|America Northwest||Download gmapsupp.img||Download MS-Version||outdated version|
|America Southeast||Download gmapsupp.img||Download MS-Version||outdated version|
|America Southwest||Download gmapsupp.img||Download MS-Version||outdated version|
|Red Sea and Indic||Download gmapsupp.img||Download MS-Version||outdated version|
|Japan and China||Download gmapsupp.img||Download MS-Version||outdated version|
|Indonesia||Download gmapsupp.img||Download MS-Version||outdated version|
|Australia||Download gmapsupp.img||Download MS-Version||outdated version|
|Arctic||Download gmapsupp.img||Download MS-Version||outdated version|
Characteristics of the map
When zooming in, you can see buildings.
When zooming out, the streets disappear and you will see an overview map of rivers and water surfaces.
Tips & Tricks
- Older devices may only support maps up to 2 GB. Use Mapsource version and upload a smaller part of the map in this case.
Mapsource Europe (2012)
- In case that some card tiles are not displayed on the GPS device, i. e. there are gaps, you should download a smaller map section onto the device using the MapSource version. This issue can happen on many Garmin devices if the downloaded map is too big.
- New Colorado, Oregon and Dakota devices works well.
- Older devices, equipped with the latest firmware-release, are even able to show scanning-pattern-charts. In the online-fullscreen-chart: choose menu "Tools > download chart". The file-format of these charts has to be KMZ. By the scanning-pattern-format all OpenSeaMap-sea-marks are displayed the same way as in the online-view. There has to be only one single KMZ-file in the directory CustomMaps on the Garmin device. Nevertheless you can use several KMZ-files, if you save them in other directories and move one for the time being, if needed, to \Garmin\CustomMaps\.
- Limitations and known issues
- You cannot set the zoom level at which points of interest (POI) are displayed on newer marine devices. The map was therefore limited to POIs that are worth looking at from a nautical point of view in order to prevent the map from being too detailed.
- Labelling of polygons (e. g. sports fields) is displayed too prominently on marine chartplotters. As this cannot be corrected, the labels of most of the objects are simply hidden.
OpenSeaMap works on the following Garmin devices:
= tested successfully
All these devices should work for OpenSeaMap, also all the hand-helds and chart plotters in this list:
|Echomap 50 s||Plotter with integrated Fishfinder|
|GPSmap 720 / 720s||Touch screen|
|GPSmap 620||Portable two-in-one touch screen device for street and marine applications|
|GPSmap 531 / 531s|
|GPSmap 526 / 526s|
|GPSmap 521 / 521s|
|GPSmap 421 / 421s|
|GPSmap 172C||No longer available|
|GPSmap 60 cx||Outdoor|
|GPSmap 60 CSx||Outdoor|
|GPSmap 62 s||Outdoor|
|GPSmap 62 sc||Outdoor|
|GPSmap 62 st||Outdoor|
|GPSmap 62 stc||Outdoor|
|Colorado||No longer available|
|eTrex 10||Outdoor, by Mapsource + Multistorage (only 12MB)|
|eTrex Legend HCx||Outdoor|
|eTrex Venture HC||Outdoor, by Mapsource|
|eTrex Vista HCx||Outdoor|
|Montana 650 t||Outdoor|
|Oregon 450||Outdoor with marine mode|
Over time, the various Garmin devices for car, outdoor and marine applications have evolved in different directions.
New maps are only compatible with the device for the respective target group. NT maps with lane assist guides and traffic information only work on Garmin nüvi devices, whereas the very detailed and colourful topographic maps are meant for use in outdoor devices. However, Bluechart G2 Vision only works in combination with marine devices. All sea maps, either traditional Bluechart, G2 or G2 Vision, work without TYPE files, as these do not display particularly detailed or multi-coloured images on shore. The Bluechart version does not offer green meadows, brown fields or even tree symbols in a forest. However, outdoor devices were designed to be used in a car or on a boat as well. For this reason, a partial support for NT and Bluechart (G2) was implemented. Unfortunately, they did not implement lane assist guides or Bluechart Vision.
So far, Garmin marine devices do not support TYPE files (for freely definable symbols, colours and textures). In order to display polygons, only a few clearly defined colours and textures are available. Without TYPE files, however, the priority of polygons cannot be defined. Maps that are displayed perfectly on Garmin outdoor or travel devices generally do have the same quality on marine devices and are therefore unusable.
Garmin has built in a locking mechanism in newer marine devices to prevent older Bluecharts (without G2) from being used (Message: "Karte nicht kompatibel" [Map is not compatible]). This lock also takes effect when OSM cards are involved.
Thus, a special OpenSeaMap chart was developed for owners of Garmin marine devices. It is particularly designed to adapt to the options of marine devices, which are rather limited compared to those of outdoor devices. This chart also works on outdoor devices with marine mode (e. g. Oregon) without any restrictions. It should also work for older marine devices. However, you should not download the entire map of Europa to less powerful devices in one go, but choose MapSource sections instead. Otherwise the image buildup will be very slow and there can be gaps in the map if the working memory is too small.
On devices that are exclusively used in cars (nüvi series) the map will probably not work without restrictions. Devices for aviation have not been tested so far.