For general editing in Potlatch 2 see also: Potlatch 2/Primer
Use the left mouse button for a click (unless your system is set up otherwise) in those actions.
- move the map: Drag an empty map area
- select a way or node: click
- move way or node: click, then drag
- create a new (single) node: double click the map
- insert a new node in a way: 1. select way with a click; 2. hold the shift key and click the desired position of the new node in the way. The new node will be inserted into all ways crossing the clicked point.
- continue an existing way: 1. select an end node of the way; 2. click the map for creating a new node there.
- start a branching way: hold the shift key and click a node (insert before if needed) in a way
- select multiple objects: click the ways/nodes while holding down the ctrl key (command key on Mac)
- move background (correct alignment of e.g. aerial imagery): hold space key and drag with the mouse. You cannot undo this action with the "undo" button. To return to the default alignment switch the bing layer off and on or restart Potlatch.
- convert a vector layer object (gps trace or waypoint) into a way or node: click while holding the ctrl and shift keys (Linux) / alt key (Windows)
Note: Potlatch needs to have the focus to be able to catch a key press. If you clicked on the browser/webpage outside of Potlatch before then Potlatch will not have the focus. Click on some scrollbar or empty space in Potlatch to focus and then press the desired key.
- 0 – Zero (but not on the numpad) – Remove ALL tags
- B – set source tag (=bing) on current node/way
- C – close current changeset. You do not need to close manually. With Potlatch you can only close a changeset while you are still in the same editing session. Closing changesets is only relevant if you want to create several changesets (with each its own comment) in one editing session (without closing and re-opening Potlatch).
- D – dim main map layer
- E - Distance, nach dem Tastendruck die Start- und anschließend die Endposition anklicken. Die Entfernung wird am unteren Bildschirmrand in der Mitte mit einer Nachkommastelle in Meter angezeigt. (de)
- F – Follow, to continue drawing a way that shares nodes with another way.
- G – Load GPS points
- H – History of single selected item – One can also click on object id # at top left in the Advanced View.
- H – Create Multipolygon Hole (multiple items selected).
- J – Join (merge).
- If node selected: Join the selected node to the other ways or nodes crossing at that point.
- If ways selected: merge ways into one (each pair need to be connected by a shared node) (Note: The osm_id of the most recently selected way will be used for the new way)
- Shift-J – Unjoin (duplicate) node (if node selected)
- M – maximise window (fullscreen mode)
- N – shift location to the end of the selected way (pressing N again will go to the other end of the way)
- O – replace node on way
- P – make parallel way (if way selected)
- Q – make angles in way right-angles (if closed way selected)
- R – repeat tags from previously selected way/node (from way to way and node to node).
To repeat/copy tags from node to way: Select node and shift-click away from it (hold down mouse while moving the pointer to change the size); a new, rectangular, closed way with the tags of the node will be created.
- Shift-R – repeat relations from previously selected way
- S – save
- T – toggle simple/advanced tag panel
- V – reverse way (if way selected)
- W – select way (if node in way selected)
- X – split way (if node in way selected)
- Y – simplify way (if way selected). Removes possibly unneeded nodes from a way. May be useful after converting a gps trace to a way.
- Z – undo
- Shift-Z – redo
- + or = – add new tag to currently selected object (and switches to Advanced mode)
- - – remove node from this way only
- / – cycle through overlapping ways (click on a shared node first) ( # – on some German keyboards, * – on Scandinavian keyboards). Step-by-step instruction with screenshots (German text).
- , – move forward one node
- . – move backward one node
- Cursor keys – pan map
- Page Up – zoom in
- Page Down – zoom out
- Delete/backspace – delete currently selected node
- Shift-delete/backspace – delete currently selected way
- shift-click – Adds a node to the selected way, and to all other ways that cross at that point.
- Ctrl-click (Linux/Windows) / Command-click (Mac) – multiple selection
- Ctrl+Shift-click (Linux) / Alt-click (Windows/Mac) – converts a vector layer object. Useful to convert a GPX trace to a way.
- Enter/Escape – stop drawing way
- Space-drag – realign background
- Shift-Fn – save tags of selected object to function key n
- Fn – apply the saved tags or switch to background bound to this key