Proposed features/Sanitary Station
Note: For current tagging see Tag:amenity=sanitary_dump_station
|Definition:||A place where canal boats can empty small toilet tanks manually.|
At various points along the UK canals, you can manually empty your portable human waste tanks. We need a tag with which to mark places offering such services.
There was some discussion on the list as to what the value should be here, and as to whether we need to subdivide. Proposed_features/Dump_Station is related.
Applies to nodes
- i'm ocnfused. you proposed 'pumpout' at the same time as this. what's the difference? is it the maunal/machine-controlled bit?
is more logical Myfanwy 10:29, 16 February 2008 (UTC)
- There's rather more difference than that. The pumpout places are a thing a bit like a fuel pump, with a big hose which sucks. A sanitary station is basically a stainless steel funnel/sink with a tap. You empty the tank down the hole, then rinse it out. So they are pretty different, and not interchangeable - you can't empty a pumpout boat using a sanitary station, or vice versa. Your tagging system implies the only difference is the amount of elbow grease required :-) Gerv 10:42, 5 March 2008 (UTC)
I also see this as the same as pumpout. I suggest merging the two. If necessary, you could make an additional tag to differentiate: amenity=sanitary_station, sanitary_station:type=* (or something along those lines.) --Hawke 22:30, 19 March 2008 (UTC)
- As I'm (officially) to late for the vote I'm putting my FOR opinion here. I live on my boat, trust me a Pumpout and a Sanitary Station are VERY different. I have a Cassette type toilet - can use Sanitary Station, can't use Pumpout. The difference is very important - facilities are sometimes (as on my waterway) DAYS travelling time apart, getting it wrong is a non-trivial problem. Not differentiating the two would be a bit a bit like marking a particular concert hall on the map as being both London and Edinburgh - it better to mark neither than mislead the user.
My ex girlfriend has a Pumpout system. The difference between his boat and mine is that he has a substantial steel tank built into the boat with connectors for pipes on the side of the boat. Her Black Water ends up in this tank, mine ends up in a plastic cassette that forms the lower part of the toilet seat (think of it as a sophisticated bucket - some are actually just that - big buckets known as a 'Bucket and Chuckit'), when its full I change it for a spare and put the full one in a wheelbarrow to take it down the local Sanitary Station (I'm on a mooring for houseboats with its own (private, hence not on the map) Sani Stn). She has to find someone to crew for her and motor down the waterway for several hours to the local Pumpout. She could buy a 'Self Pumpout Kit' to use Sanitary Stations but, like most people, she hasn't, they are expensive, smelly, very bulky to store, take a lot of effort to work, take a LOT of time to work (during which time people like me are queued up behind you, getting annoyed about hanging around for significant parts of an hour) and often involve trailing a smelly hose across a public footpath (I've seen the result of someone tripping on one - not pretty!). On top of that some Sani Stns are unsuitable for Self Pumpout - they are either to far from the waterside or can't take the volume a boats tank delivers in a short period. If anything we could do with THREE tags, Pumpout, Sanitary Station and Sanitary Station (No Self Pump Out) --sbt 17:29, 22 August 2008 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal -- Gerv 19:15, 5 March 2008 (UTC)
- I disapprove this proposal. If it can only be used by boats, it should go in the waterway "namespace". -- Ulfl 02:00, 7 March 2008 (UTC)
- OK - can people who disapprove please indicate if they'd approve if it moved to "waterway"? (I don't know if I'm allowed to modify a proposal while voting is going on.) -- Gerv 08:26, 8 March 2008 (UTC)
- If this isn't boat specific as Hawke mentioned, the description should be changed (and amenity would be ok). I also agree that this and the "pumpout" proposal should go into one. - Ulfl 03:20, 20 March 2008 (UTC)
- I disapprove of this proposal. It is too similar to pumpout, and the description makes it very boat-specific while the concept is not. --Hawke 22:33, 19 March 2008 (UTC)
- I oppose this proposal. See Hawke. --Chrischan 21:47, 29 May 2008 (UTC)
- I oppose this proposal. This is recycling --Bjalf 02:25 1 June 2008 (CET)