Semantic MediaWiki (SMW) is an extension to MediaWiki (MW) which provides a powerful tool to introduce semantic information into a wiki. This extension can help us to organize, browse, evaluate and share the content and prevent us for defining not machine readable features.
Pages which can benefit
- tag description pages can become machine readable and the map feature overview can be automatically generated from the tag description pages.
- pages with a geographic relation can be displayed on a map, by using for example the SMW extension semantic maps.
- redundancy will be reduced; each relevant data is hold in only one page
- clarity increase
- the wikis information yields a higher validity
- the discussions page will be more central to avoid a spread of the same information
- apps can use the wiki as data source, caused by simple data export (see RDF export)
- render can store rendering definition (layout, symbols) in the wiki
- analyser can use the feature definitions for further processing
- editors can use the feature definitions for auto completion or suggestions
- automatic generation of tabular lists
- higher MW performance; reduction of template changes
- more efficient searches
- differentiated news feed generation for e.g. new or proposed features (see RSS format)
- MW caches pages, changes of semantic data will be indicated delayed
- complexity of templates will increase
Map feature pages
Following ontology proposals can actually be discussed:
- Machine-readable Map Feature list#Using Semantic MediaWiki in the future
- User:Ck3d/Ontology Proposal