Southwest UK Mapping Party
A week of Devon/North Cornwall exploration in the weekend of 31 August - 3rd September, based in Bideford
The southwest of England has long been a white area on the OSM map of England, and anyone wishing to criticise OSM finds it very easy to say "just look at Devon/Cornwall" when illustrating our lack of completeness.
It's also rather a lovely area to explore, with enough small hills for a good workout on the bike, and plenty of good pubs and tea shops to keep you going.
Places to map
Based in Bideford, a coastal town in North Devon (near to Braunston). Right next to Exmoor, and to other North-coast villages.
Yahoo imagery now covers Plymouth, Torpoint and the Rame peninsula.
I still have some tracks to use and tag up round the Bude area, will try and do that before this event. I don't drive and have a pda that lasts 2 hours, but it was great fun mapping footpaths and stuff in such a blank area. I could possibly be convinced to come. - LastGrape
(areas touched - not necessarily covered!)
|Tiverton (map)||Walked around town||Yes|
|Bideford (map)||Walked around town||Some|
|Barnstaple (map)||Through roads only||-|
|Clovelly (map)||All features||Yes|
|Hartland point (map)||Lots of country lanes||Yes|
|Westward Ho! (map)||through road only||-|
|Woolacombe (map)||Walked around||Yes|
|Ilfracombe (map)||Through roads only||-|
|Combe Martin (map)||Some detail|
|Lynton (map)||All roads||Yes|
|Lynmouth (map)||All features||Yes|
|Exmoor (map)||Two routes across (NS and EW, including the cycle route)||Yes|
|Exebridge (map)||Through road only||-|
|Filleigh (map)||Through road only||-|
New tags required, or tags to check
- Funicular railway (using railway=rail just between 2 stations)
- Gradient of roads
- Cost of parking (and mark free car-parks in different colour please!)
- food=yes (on pubs)
- accommodation=yes (on pubs)
- bowling green
- I've been using leisure=pitch and sport=bowls TomChance 12:46, 6 September 2007 (BST)
- cattle grids (highway=cattle_grid)
- toll booth (with honesty box)
- place=junction (named road junctions)
- lay-by (roadside parking for 2-3 cars)
- skate park (sport=skateboard?)
- ticket office (location you need to visit before travelling a particular route - see proposed Tag:office=travel_agent?)
- public internet access (internet cafe, public library, etc)
- Tauntons Hotel has £40/night available for Friday/Saturday
- Knapp House camp site seems to be the closest to Bideford (about a mile or two). £6 for a tent.
Grant Slater - Driving from London, anyone need a lift?- Unable to make it
- Ojw - With car, will have laptop (with garmin serial cable) and Geko GPS
- Robneild - Probably down Thurday to Tuesday. Staying at Knapp House camp site, Bideford. My mobile 07941122449.
- Eleanor (OJW's sister) with Geko GPS