Stillwater, OK GIS import
- 1 Overview
- 2 Source data
- 3 Process
Please do not attempt to import any features without first consulting the main contacts below.
The goal of this import is to add building and associated address data from publicly available datasets in Stillwater, OK.
The Github repository for all code is here: https://github.com/mikeshenson/Stillwater_OK_OSM_import as well as issues and project tasks.
The scripts and code for creating the data are intended to generate OSM files that will be validated and imported on a neighborhood by neighborhood bases.
Main contributors/organizers of this project:
- Mike : User page
How can I help?
We need technical help with validation and script updates as necessary and documentation help.
- Importing. OpenStreetMap account required (Create one here)
- Help update this project page; OpenStreetMap Wiki account required (Create one here)
- Write docs about importing
- Working with the building and address data
- Setting up and using JOSM
Data is provided by Stillwater. The datasets:
- Building Footprints:
- Address points:
The Building Footprints dataset will be referred to as "bldgs". The Address Points dataset will be referred to as "addrs".
These datasets are in the Public Domain
The general process for importing data is described below.
- Import building and address data into JOSM
- Import existing OSM buildings (building=*) into JOSM
- Any new building footprints which intersect existing buildings will, for now, be ignored
- Tags will be created for each building as below
Address Tag Mappings
Remove all tags except "STNAME" and STTYPE to help assign correct addr:street tag.
|STNAME||"Original dataset value"|
|STTYPE||"Original dataset value"|
|addr:street||(expanded)STDIR + STNAME + (expanded)STTYPE|
Building Tag Mappings
Remove all tags.
|building||yes (follow table below)|
|source value||final value|
|Duplex, Apartment Complex, Multiplex, Residential Condominiums||apartments|
|Everything else (the vast majority)||yes|
The bldgs dataset contains a column representing the use of the building "USAGE". The corresponding building= tag will be set as follows (based on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:building):
Addresses are connected to a building through a Accessors id. bldgs dataset contains a PARC_ACCT field that matched the addrs dataset ACCT field. These were removed.
All address POIs will remain just a point.
Phase 0: Preparation
- User "Stillwater_OK_GIS_Import" is owned by user mhenson
- Contributors/importers will create separate accounts followed by their normal usernames + "_Stillwater_OK_GIS_Import" for import purposes.
- Buildings will be extracted into neighborhoods (of at least 10 buildings each, at most 140) and converted into .osm format, with three outputs:
- Only those that DO NOT overlap with existing OSM data and have a single address
- Only those that overlap with existing OSM data or have multiple addresses (to use in Phase 2)
- All buildings
Phase 1: The easy stuff
- This phase will only deal with buildings that do not overlap with other features in OSM and have one (or no) address, or simple one building on one Accessors id with multiple addresses
- Contributors will download a section of buildings, and a section of address nodes and validate it in JOSM, verify them with local knowledge & against the most recent imagery available; likely NAIP imagery with Bing as a fall back.
Please note: satellite imagery can have significant positioning errors versus more accurate surveys.
- After validation, the changeset for that section will be uploaded by the contributor with a commit message that indicates it is part of this project
- Contributors will adhere to a strict limit of features edited per hour to be determined with consultation of the OSM Imports-us group.
Phase 2: Reconciliation with existing buildings/addresses
This phase will involve conflating data to be added to buildings that already exist in OSM and dealing with any complex addressing issues.
Change Sets shall include text "https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Stillwater,_OK_GIS_import"
Contributors to this project are (and should be) Stillwater-area community members with an interest in keeping the data up to date.