| man_made = monitoring_station
|A station that monitors something|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
There is a large variety of monitoring stations. It ranges from checking water levels in rivers (Wikipedia (de) Wikipedia (en) ), tide gauges for sea level monitoring, noise monitoring, air pollution monitoring and signals from positioning satellite monitoring to weather stations (Wikipedia (de) Wikipedia (en)).
man_made=monitoring_station creates a simple feature that would enable to map all the above features. The tags can be applied to all types of objects existing in OSM.
This tag doesn't refer to objects used to "monitor" - that means intercept, eavesdrop or wiretap - any communication infrastructure.
Define what is monitored:
- monitoring:water_level=* -- Site used to monitor the non-tidal water levels in rivers, streams and lakes.
- monitoring:tide_gauge=* -- Site used to monitor the tide level of the sea.
- monitoring:weather=* -- Site used to monitor the weather.
- monitoring:air_quality=* -- Site used to monitor air quality due to man made pollution or natural pollen levels.
- monitoring:noise=* -- Site used to monitor noise levels.
- monitoring:traffic=* -- Site used to monitor traffic.
- monitoring:seismic_activity=* -- Site used to monitor seismic activity.
- monitoring:gps=* -- Site used to monitor signals from the GPS satellite cluster.
- monitoring:glonass=* -- Site used to monitor signals from the GLONASS satellite cluster.
- monitoring:*=* -- feel also free to use other tags since there are a lot of other things to monitor like temperature, height and density of snow, speed of glaciers and so on.
No defaults are defined here since depending on the type of station, the operator and the things monitored it is impossible to define an always correct default value.
- Chronometer: amenity=clock
- International GPS Station Tracking Network -- GPS/GLONASS monitoring stations world wide
- MMS: Multi-Network Metadata System -- Weather stations world wide
- OGC Sensor Observation Service -- A protocol for reading data from sensors and creating sensor networks
Related terms: <monitoring station>