Featured image proposals
Welcome to Featured image proposals.
Great photos of OpenStreetMap community, maps, or artwork posted here stand a good chance of being made Featured images, giving your picture a week of infamy on the main page of the OpenStreetMap Wiki, plus eternal fame in the archives.
Global Noise Pollution Map
Visualization of noise pollution for the entire world based on top of OSM data. Link: http://lukasmartinelli.ch/gis/2016/04/03/openstreetmap-noise-pollution-map.html Wille (talk)----
- It is not authorization for the data used (ODbL licensed), but for the rendering itself (not covered by the ODbL license, just like OSM.org Mapnik rendering is licensed separately using CC-BY-SA, and the Mapnik renderer code itself has its own separate license for its open source).
- All we have for now is a publication on a private user blog, which has no clear statement about licensing and authorization (do you see the "Copyright Lukas Martinelli" at bottom of pages?, and when you click on the map, you see it is hosted in a private Mapbox installation, with "Copyright Mapbox"). There's no indication at all for the additional noise data.
- So Harry Wood is correct: finding a blog featuring some image does not grant use the right to take a screenshot and republish it (and not that the OSM data is not the only information used, this image was produced by its own renderer using its own dataset for filtering/evaluating noise, with various rules not found in the OSM database itself). — Verdy_p (talk) 15:39, 21 June 2017 (UTC)
Saw a screenshot image of this on twitter: http://blog.alb42.de/programs/mapparium/ No better than any other software screenshot, but we should do more software screenshots really. We can spin a positive caption about this because it's a prime example of OSM data reaching exotic tech platforms!
Creating MapRoulette Challenges from GeoJSON
- Yeah it's a good tutorial to draw attention to, but I can't particularly see a stand out image there. -- Harry Wood (talk) 10:50, 13 December 2016 (UTC)
Bus stops of Rosario and Buenos Aires
It needs a better marker for the bus stops, but can be an idea to a post in the future: https://twitter.com/OpenStreetMapAR/status/834933019928571904 There are a lot of bus routes mapped in both cities as well. --Wille (talk) 01:42, 24 February 2017 (UTC)
OSM and Missing Maps on TV programme
A TV programme of the British channel Sky News highlighted the OpenStreetMap mapathons that have been organized by the Missing Maps project in London. The video is available on YouTube. I made a screenshot, but I'm not sure if the copyright allow us to publish in a open license: http://imgur.com/a/SFR8z --Wille (talk) 18:17, 14 April 2017 (UTC)
OSM map on bike trailer
- That's a cool photo yeah. I just asked Spannholtz for open licensing permission -- Harry Wood (talk) 00:27, 27 June 2017 (UTC)
Minecraft scenes by WorldBloxer
Chatting to these folks on twitter and they sent me a bunch of images. I picked three for a montage.
We've got a few other options at the moment (which is great!) This is another one for the queue.