The node representing the capital city
You do know, that a city can also be represented by it's bounding-polygon and by both, a bounding-polygon and a center-point at the same time?
- Ideally it would be another relation, containing the city borders and relations of it's suburbs (who themselves contain their borders). -- Fröstel 10:26, 12 February 2008 (UTC)
The country borders
I really like that. Finally something to gather at least most parts of the border of a country with. (Without having to scan a biiiig bounding-box.) This could help with checking what country a given location is in (required for routing. e.g. because of national speed-limits.). --MarcusWolschon 07:59, 12 February 2008 (UTC)
Merging Country borders and Boundaries
What about archipelagoes?
Do we mark the international border on water? Or do we collect as a relation all the coastlines of all islands? --Seav 10:13, 29 March 2008 (UTC)
How about generalizing existing place tag with relations?
- type=place, place=country (several long borders of a country grouped by a relation)
- type=place, place=city (several borders of a city grouped by a relation)
- type=place, place=town (several coastlines of a large town grouped into island by a relation)
- type=place, place=island (several coastlines of a large island grouped into island by a relation)
This principle would also allow:
- type=natural, natural=archipelago (several invisible borders around islands or even other members of place=island relations or nodes)
- type=natural, natural=mountain_range (several invisible borders around montains or even/also a collection of natural=peak nodes)
--Stefanb 14:51, 23 June 2008 (UTC)
relations as members
This country proposal can really also be used for each state in a federal state. What about importing all the states as relations into the top level nation relation? Further can all nation relation on a continent be members of a continent relation which again can be a member of an earth relation...... this can also go the other way and thus replace the is_in tag and/or relation --Skippern 18:41, 2 December 2008 (UTC)
Generalization and merge
I think this should be generalized and renamed from Country to area, place, or perhaps territory. It also should be merged with features from is_in.