INSERT DMP/ACTIVATION NAME and brief description of the situation and response actions being taken here...
For Aid Organizations
Map and Data Services
OpenStreetMap offers an online map (and spatial database) which is updated by the minute. Various tools and services allow data extracts for GIS specialists, Routable Garmin GPS data, Smartphone GPS navigation, and other device-compatible downloads. With an internet connection, regular syncing is possible with open access to the community contributed data as it comes in, with OpenStreetMap's bulk data downloads ideal for use offline. In addition, maps can also be printed to paper.
Browse the (example) Activation Area to get a feel for the data that is currently available. Different map styles including an Humanitarian style can be selected on the right side, and some data may not render (appear) on the map, but could be exported from the underlying database (See export section below).
Poster size Maps and normal sized paper atlases of custom areas can be printed:
- FieldPapers Paper Maps with grid for field survey or general navigation purposes,
- MapOSMatic Large Paper Maps with grid, street index and POI, good for command centers, hospitals, etc.
Exporting OpenStreetMap data
- Add additional data sources here...
With the availibility of Small communication devices, Navigation Offline data proves to be very useful to the humanitarians deployed in foreign countries. We support the humanitarian NGO's using navigation data and invite them to give us feedback on the utilization of these devices in the context of field deployment.
- Add additional data sources here...
Usage of OSM data for Humanitarian Missions
- Example CartONG Map
- Please post links/reports here...
About This Disaster Mapping Project
History of this DMP/Activation
Reactivity of the OSM Community
- INSERT DATE - describe activity before response here...
- Add statistics or links to data regarding mapping progress here...
- Provide link to article/media here...
Other Responses including Digital Humanitarian Network
- Provide relevant links and responses here...
- Example: HOT Coordinator(s) requesting remote mapping assistance for estimated 2 week mapping response
How You Can Contribute
Learn to Map
- Most of our volunteer needs are for remote OSM contributors, visit LearnOSM.org to get started.
- Add additional guidance for tagging in the DMP/Activation area here...
- Please choose from highest priority first
- Experienced mappers are also asked to participate in validating completed tasks. Information on validating can be found here
|Job No.||Priority||Location||What to map||Imagery Source||Task Mapping Status||Task Validation Status|
|Example Project||Urgent||Gampaha West||Roads||Bing||In Progress (60%)||In Progress (54%)|
|Example Project||Moderate||Attanagalla||Detailed||Bing||In Progress (26%)||In Progress (2%)|
|Example Project||Complete||Kelani Various||Buildings||Various||Complete (100%)||Complete (100%)|
OSM Default Imagery Sources
Bing provides a global imagery data source that is the 'default' Imagery available for OSM (default option in most editors).
Mapbox provides a global imagery source and should be compared to Bing (typically use Bing for alignment if available and not instructed otherwise).
Alternative Imagery Sources
How to add/use Alternative Imagery
In many cases better imagery is available than the default; when possible we set up a remote link directly via the Tasking Manager, so there is nothing to do, the iD editor and (as long as enabled) JOSM will automatically add the imagery.
Additionally, with JOSM, it's relatively easy to add special imagery if the license is appropriate for tracing into OSM. For more details see JOSM Imagery Help
Add potential data sources here...
- Provide links to historical maps of the impacted area here...
- Add your event here...
- Add past mapping events/projects in the impacted area here...
- Provide relevant links here...