I mainly map around Zwenkau, a small town in the south of Leipzig, Germany. Feel free to leave me a note on this site if you're mapping in the same area and have some issues. My major interest is getting bicycle trails mapped - so you do not have to breathe the automobile fumes cycling around.
As I've been spending a lot of time lately "fixing bugs" in the map data, my request to anyone seriously editing the map: Please use a decent editing tool (like josm or merkaartor) and use the validate features! Probably the biggest issue is crossing ways (no node at intersecting streets) - think of a routing application, it'll never find the right way..
There are quite a lot of ways that are unconnected to other ways, so please, if you roll in some data make sure it meets some minimum requirements. You don't need to tag the way, if you don't want to, but at least it should be properly connected to existing stuff. Thanks a lot for helping out a freedom of information project..
Some tips if you're using josm
- After you hit the "valid..." button many bugs may pop up on the map and it might be hard to spot the mistakes in the visual chaos of colored highways. Toogle the visibility of the osm data layer and a "map" containing just the bugs will remain. Now select a validation issue in the dock and the outline will be filled solid. Repeat select, unselect until you can spot it.
- Use the "search.." button and the search dock. You can select more than one object in the selection list (Strg, Shift, like you're used to) and hit Select again, so the unselected items in the list will be dropped from your selection. There are some more operations to get the set of objects selected efficiently - you'll figure it out. To add foot=yes to all cycleways do a search for "cycleway" and then use the properties box to add foot=yes, do not select each and every way after another, this will degrade the fun factor while editing.
- Use "j" to join a node with the nearest way.
- Use "u" to unselect everything. This is helpful if you want to add a bunch of nodes to an existing way. Hit 'a', add node, hit 'u', add node, repeat as you wish..
- Read this wiki if you're unsure about something. Use the Map Features page extensively - Strg+F or typing a "/" in firefox will fasten your search for a specific tag.