Started mapping in Jan 2012, waiting until I had a decent enough phone with GPS to do so.
Most of my mapping has been isolated to the City & County of Galway. This will change as Galway nears completion towards a useable map with all major items recorded, to extend out to other areas in Ireland.
I intend on using new Bing imagery to trace existing roads in Ireland as the new imagery becomes available.
Organisation of Mapping Parties
- 23rd March 2013 - Tracing of buildings in Galway City, west of the River Corrib
- Over a dozen people from around the world, including several from Ireland, participated in a MapCraft job to trace every building not already traced. This was anticipated to take over a week to complete, it was completed within 39 hours.
- MapCraft job can be found here
- A video was created by Derick Rethans showing the activity. It can be viewed here
Humanitarian Openstreetmap (HOT)
- Kerena - Buildings & water features added to assist with ground surveys
- Mopti- Buildings for UN OCHA
- Kathmandu Valley – Mapping for an earthquake risk assessment
Central African Republic
- Bangui - Mapping roads and buildings
- Galway City - On the ground mapping & Bing tracing
- Galway County - On the ground mapping & Bing tracing
- Everywhere else - Bing tracing
A collection of links that I use regularly or just want to be able to find in a pinch!
Stats of every kind
- OSM Data Stats
- ITOworld - Their OSM Mapper service is very useful
- Another OSM Stats site - Italy specific, but hopefully will extend to worldwide at some stage
- Galway - Wiki section tracking progress of the mapping of Galway City
- New OSM members for Ireland - 2 day / 7 day view interchangeable
- Walking Papers
- GPS Track Visualisation
Beginners Materials a.k.a OSM Basics
- Learn OSM
Other Video Links not Captured Above
- Derick Rethans on Vimeo
- ITOworld on Vimeo
- Richard Weait - Introduction to Openstreetmap
- skobbler on Vimeo
Quirky Map Stuff
- OSMFight - There can be only one!