FOSSGIS stands for Free and Open Source Software for Geographical Information Systems. It is:
- the name of a non-profit organization (Verein) in Germany promoting Free and Open Source Software and Free Geodata
- the name of a yearly conference about the subject organized by said organization
FOSSGIS e.V is a German association supporting Open Source Software and free geodata. It has emerged from a former association of GRASS users and is a local chapter of the Open Source Geospatial Foundation.
Many members of the German OpenStreetMap community are members of FOSSGIS. OpenStreetMappers who are members of FOSSGIS e.V. can add themselves to the category FOSSGIS-Mitglied (Member of FOSSGIS).
- owns the domain openstreetmap.de and administrates it in cooperation with the OSM community in Germany
- organizes the FOSSGIS conference (see below)
- has received 10 GPS devices as a donation, which can be borrowed for OSM events
- can act as a representative for the collection of donations, sponsoring and similar activities
The FOSSGIS e.V. has several servers that it runs with and for the OSM community.
- German language mailing lists for the OSM community
- FOSSGIS/OTRS Issue Tracking System for the German language OSM community
- FOSSGIS Wiki
- FOSSGIS 2015, will be held in March 2015 in Münster, Germany
- FOSSGIS 2014, held in March 2014 in Berlin, Germany
- FOSSGIS 2013, held in June 2013 in Rapperswil, Schweiz
- FOSSGIS 2012, held in March 2012 in Dessau, Germany
- FOSSGIS 2011, held in April 2011 in Heidelberg, Germany
- FOSSGIS 2010, held in March 2010 in Osnabrück, Germany
- FOSSGIS 2009, held in March 2009 in Hannover, Germany
- FOSSGIS 2008, held in April 2008 in Freiburg, Germany