Humanitarian OSM Team/Working groups/Activation/meeting 2014-08-12

From OpenStreetMap Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Meeting on Tue August 12th 2014 to discuss HOT activation. Lasted 2 hours.

The specific Hackpad is still the live shared document for the Working Group to exchange ideas.

Topics

The meeting focused on improving the first draft of the AWG Terms of Reference (TORs) during the meeting time. Along the revision, terminologies and proposed actions have been raised: having not only the main monthly meeting but also weekly meetings for quick update on ongoing Activations; testing to set a monitoring crisis team; and the need of setting specific meetings for some topics like merging/setting Activation documentation.

Brief point about the Ebola Activation by Pierzen. At that time, AOIs from field were hard to obtain, Activators waiting for imagery, and hoping people will continue to participate even if vacations. A meeting the next day with WHO and partners was planned. Regarding the data, a lot of place names to add in Sierra Leone and Liberia. Try to focus first on area where we identify a priority (ie more cases). Would be good to revise the road classification, often first run, too many highway=track.

Action points

  • Share the drafted TORs for the Activation Working Group (document stating the goals and topics addressed within the AWG) to the HOT list for review and changes, in order to adopt them for the next AWG meeting
  • Create a Trello for the AWG that anyone interested can join in order to create micro-tasking
  • Set a weekly meeting on IRC or a weekly update for brief overview of ongoing activations and crisis monitoring.
  • Collect existing documents about Activation to be merged and set tasks so that anyone interested can work on
  • Set specific meetings for the main points:
    • coordination meetings for current activations
    • documentation/procedures meetings


Next AWG should occur monthly every 2nd Tuesday. Next one will on September 9th, 2PM UTC.

IRC log

<sev_hotosm> My connection is currently quite bad
<sev_hotosm> context: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/Working_groups/Activation
<sev_hotosm> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/2014-August/005720.html
* russdeffner (~482a667e@shenron.openstreetmap.org) has joined #hot
<Tallguy> Early apologies - I will have to leave about 15 mins into the meeting.
* michael63 (~quassel@p57AEA2AD.dip0.t-ipconnect.de) has joined #hot
<sev_hotosm> OK
<sev_hotosm> Is there anyone else connected?
<sev_hotosm> anyway it is time to start
<michael63> Hi Severin, I'm there
<Tallguy> Hi, yes, but will have to leave after about 15 minutes
<sev_hotosm> so what do you want to talk specifically in the pending points?
<russdeffner> Hello Severin, I'm here as well
<sev_hotosm> Hi Russ
<russdeffner> Is there an agenda?
<sev_hotosm> do you have the links I put around 15 minutes ago or you have just connected and cannot see them?
<sev_hotosm> context: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/Working_groups/Activation
<sev_hotosm> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/2014-August/005720.html
<sev_hotosm> basically we have to discuss about TORs
<sev_hotosm> and set specific meetings to go forward on specific pending topics liek:
<sev_hotosm> documentation/procedures
* marc1909 (~marc1909@p5DC5F8BC.dip0.t-ipconnect.de) has joined #hot
<sev_hotosm> activation review aka sharing experiences adn tricks between activators
<sev_hotosm> regular meetings about ongoing activations (one a month is not enough)
<russdeffner> yes, maybe we should have our coordinator(s) do an After Action Review...
<sev_hotosm> this is a very old topic and just a wish so far
<sev_hotosm> so we can have an eye on the TORs taht is really a short draft
<russdeffner> Could be something simple, like: describe one thing that worked well, one that didn't, and what could prevent that in the future?
<sev_hotosm> https://hackpad.com/HOT-AWG-Activation-Working-Group-Terms-of-reference-8EFvmXXzU68
<sev_hotosm> yes sure
<sev_hotosm> this encpmapsses documents, ways to involve contributors, etc
<sev_hotosm> WOuld also be great there is more than one facilitator for each WG
<sev_hotosm> HOT Board members decided to commit by being a facilitator in at least one WG to make sure they happen
<sev_hotosm> but anyone can also facilitate
<pierzen> Hi, will follow the log, an other meeting in 15 minutes
<sev_hotosm> anyone having a bit of experience in activation I mean
<sev_hotosm> pierzen OK
<sev_hotosm> would like to add in the TORs that we aim at improving the activaiton response
<sev_hotosm> but my connection is unstable
<russdeffner> yes, of course a co-facilitator/lead is a good idea; I think I'll be co-leading the gov and community WGs; so don't want to stretch myself to thin...
<sev_hotosm> russdeffner sure
<sev_hotosm> pierzen if you are here are you interested?
<russdeffner> Maybe Pierre, Andy, or Nick?
<sev_hotosm> Tallguy?
<pierzen> quite busy with other tasks.
* hjart has quit (Ping timeout: 480 seconds)
<Tallguy> sev_hotosm, I'm here, but don't think I know enough about the process to take that on.
<sev_hotosm> OK trying to catch Andrew on Mumble
<AndrewBuck> Hello all. Not sure how much I have to add, just reading to catch up so far.
<russdeffner> Tallguy - I think it is more just helping run these meetings, etc. don't necessarily need Activation experience
<Tallguy> OK, I'm willing to help in any way - nothing to do with being asked, but I do have to leave in a moment, but yes willing to help
<russdeffner> Hello Andy
<sev_hotosm> Tallguy Eg I think on the documentation/process it would be good to have you at least for the quality aspects
<Tallguy> Yes, more than happy with that
<sev_hotosm> OK
<sev_hotosm> so we should find a way to connect with the other people wanting to synthetize the different documents made about the activation process
<sev_hotosm> as there is so far THE document for this
<Tallguy> Sorry, I've got to leave now - will read the logs later - by all means contact me by email or ..... to let me know what I can do
<sev_hotosm> I think that this has to be done with specific moment of co-working between interested people
<sev_hotosm> Tallguy
<sev_hotosm> so my idea is to collect those documents and set working points anyone interested to work on
<sev_hotosm> and try both co-working times and also tasks that can be done by anyone
<sev_hotosm> do you think this would work?
<sev_hotosm> hmm IRC is the only thing I am still connected, low bandwith today, too many people at the same place here in Blantyre, Malawi
<sev_hotosm> russdeffner and AndrewBuck did you have an eye to the TORs draft?
<sev_hotosm> I talked about "sub WG" I do not thinkwe should keep this expression
<sev_hotosm> suggestions?
<sev_hotosm> I am not sure to be connected
<sev_hotosm> can someone confirm me I am still connected and that you can read my sentences?
<sev_hotosm> sev_hotosm> can someone confirm me I am still connected and that you can read my sentences?
* Disconnected (Invalid argument).
* sev_hotosm sets mode +i sev_hotosm
* Now talking on #hot
* Topic for #hot is: Ebola Outbreak https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2014_West_Africa_Ebola_Response | #hot log: http://logs.sahanafoundation.org/hotosm
* Topic for #hot set by ptressel!~chatzilla@174-31-242-8.tukw.qwest.net at Wed Jul 9 16:01:28 2014
* Notify: ybon is online (OFTC).
<sev_hotosm>
<sev_hotosm> suggestions?
<sev_hotosm>
<sev_hotosm> I am not sure to be connected
<sev_hotosm>
<sev_hotosm> can someone confirm me I am still connected and that you can read my sentences?
<AndrewBuck> We see you
<sev_hotosm> I have been off for 15 minutes?
<AndrewBuck> yeah
<sev_hotosm> put my inputs again
<sev_hotosm>
<Tallguy> Sorry, I've got to leave now - will read the logs later - by all means contact me by email or ..... to let me know what I can do
<sev_hotosm>
<sev_hotosm> I think that this has to be done with specific moment of co-working between interested people
<sev_hotosm>
<sev_hotosm> Tallguy
<sev_hotosm>
<sev_hotosm> so my idea is to collect those documents and set working points anyone interested to work on
<sev_hotosm>
<sev_hotosm> and try both co-working times and also tasks that can be done by anyone
<sev_hotosm>
<sev_hotosm> do you think this would work?
<sev_hotosm>
<sev_hotosm> hmm IRC is the only thing I am still connected, low bandwith today, too many people at the same place here in Blantyre, Malawi
<sev_hotosm>
<sev_hotosm> russdeffner and AndrewBuck did you have an eye to the TORs draft?
<sev_hotosm>
<sev_hotosm> I talked about "sub WG" I do not thinkwe should keep this expression
<sev_hotosm>
<sev_hotosm> suggestions?
<russdeffner> yes, I'm going to have to step away and get more coffee while we see if Sev returns :)
<sev_hotosm> russdeffner I am back!
<sev_hotosm> but go and get the coffee please
<AndrewBuck> I don't really have anything to add to the TOR.
<russdeffner> I still think we (this group) should probably handle at least creating the procedure, if not be the ones who decide, if/when we Officially activate, otherwise it looks good
<russdeffner> Sev, has the Board said anything about that?
<sev_hotosm> russdeffner by procedure you mean the TORs?
<russdeffner> no, a method/procedure for what we treat as an official activation, versus a humanitarian project (or what we've previously called a HMP)
<sev_hotosm> hmm yes we should add in the purposes when we activate
<russdeffner> in the past we suggested some 'minimum requirements', like 'request from partner organization', etc.
<russdeffner> I would suggest that the 'ongoing activation' sub WG could 'conviene' to review a new incident and decide if we activate, or something like that
<sev_hotosm> but an activation is not decided by the AWG directly, ideally the AWG should create the Activation docuement that explains ans states when we activate
<russdeffner> ok, at least for the ToR we could stick to documentation; to be fleshed out further at a later time?
<sev_hotosm> russdeffner you want to talk about documentation rather than TORs?
<sev_hotosm> sorry I did not understand waht you meant by stick to documentation
<sev_hotosm> sorry I have been disconnected again
<sev_hotosm> can you read me?
* Now talking on #hot
* Topic for #hot is: Ebola Outbreak https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2014_West_Africa_Ebola_Response | #hot log: http://logs.sahanafoundation.org/hotosm
* Topic for #hot set by ptressel!~chatzilla@174-31-242-8.tukw.qwest.net at Wed Jul 9 16:01:28 2014
* Notify: ybon is online (OFTC).
<russdeffner> returning to the "sub WG", I'm not sure it is necessary; could just be a 'special' meeting of the AWG, versus regular/monthly
* clara has quit (Ping timeout: 480 seconds)
<russdeffner> I'm also thinking the last two bullet points under Purpose could be consolidated?
<sev_hotosm2> russdeffner OK for special meetings but I think we should also have a weekly update for ongoing activations
<sev_hotosm2> so far activations work separately in silos
<sev_hotosm2> but please make the consolidations you feel necessary
<russdeffner> ok, so if we don't use the sub-wg, then would we just consider the AWG to meet weekly? would that be too much for most people to want to be involved in the group?
<sev_hotosm2> so maybe a weekly short meeting focusing on updates?
<sev_hotosm2> and the monthly one to take decisions?
<sev_hotosm2> on all the topics?
* skorasaurus2 (~skors@adsl-75-10-134-41.dsl.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net) has joined #hot
<russdeffner> ok, so weekly 'Activities Report' and monthly AWG full session meetings?
* Disconnected (Invalid argument).
* cquest_ has quit (Remote host closed the connection)
<sev_hotosm2> weekly would be dedicated to ongoing Activation
* sev_hotosm sets mode +i sev_hotosm
* Notify: ybon is online (OFTC).
* Now talking on #hot
* sev_hotosm (~severin@105.234.199.31) has joined #hot
* Topic for #hot is: Ebola Outbreak https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2014_West_Africa_Ebola_Response | #hot log: http://logs.sahanafoundation.org/hotosm
* Topic for #hot set by ptressel!~chatzilla@174-31-242-8.tukw.qwest.net at Wed Jul 9 16:01:28 2014
<sev_hotosm2> and also I would like us to have a monitoring crisis group that would also make weekly updates
<sev_hotosm2> monthly ones for other matters like documentaiton or review, where specifc AWG meetings would feedback their work
<sev_hotosm2> would provide feedback I mean
<sev_hotosm2> makes sense?
* jgc (~jgc@82JAAHGBJ.tor-irc.dnsbl.oftc.net) has joined #hot
<russdeffner> yes, that sounds good
<sev_hotosm2> I could make a Trello for the AWG and anyone interested would join (Trello is not free of charge to be public, and I think raising the hand to show interest is not a bad thing in itself)
<sev_hotosm2> do you have a few minutes to redraft the TORs with me?
<sev_hotosm2> michael63 you can join if you want
<sev_hotosm2> I mean in the edits, as I see you connected on the TORs
* wonderchook has quit (Quit: wonderchook)
* jgc has quit (Quit: Quitte)
* claire (~oftc-webi@41.78.197.237) has joined #hot
* jgc (~jgc@chomsky.torservers.net) has joined #hot
<michael63> sorry, I had been absent for a couple of minutes: @sev, what could I join?
* le_loup_qui_rit (~Thunderbi@109.89.170.108) has joined #hot
<russdeffner> I have some time Sev
<sev_hotosm2> modify the TORs according the discussion we hast had
<sev_hotosm2> sorry just not hast
* hjart (~hjart@185.37.86.110) has joined #hot
* jgc has quit (Remote host closed the connection)
* jgc (~jgc@0KSAAAEEW.tor-irc.dnsbl.oftc.net) has joined #hot
* skorasaurus2 has quit (Ping timeout: 480 seconds)
<sev_hotosm2> can you see my ongoing edits?
<michael63> I can see them
* wonderchook (~wondercho@c-98-246-210-103.hsd1.or.comcast.net) has joined #hot
<sev_hotosm2> OK I did my pass on it
<sev_hotosm2> russdeffner and michael63 feel free to comment and change
<sev_hotosm2> Am I still connected? Ping me if yes
<pgiraud> ping sev_hotosm
<pgiraud> ping sev_hotosm2
<russdeffner> was wondering if we shouldn't put the clause of new activations under the specific meetings, just in case it is time sensitive and needs to happen right away
<russdeffner> rather than weekly?
<sev_hotosm2> yes true
<russdeffner> ok, I'll rearrange that part
<sev_hotosm2> but could be also the opportunity to take a decision if a situation has been raised and no decision taken
<sev_hotosm2> maybe it should not be decided by the few people taht would be present
<sev_hotosm2> but at least that the pending topics are discussed and an advice provided as a feedback to the hot list
<sev_hotosm2> this does not concern huge crisis for which the decision is obvious
<sev_hotosm2> ah we did not include the typology
<sev_hotosm2> Activaiton, HMP, etc
<russdeffner> I think it will need further discussion and in creating the documentation of the steps for activation, we'll need to create that process
<russdeffner> maybe we're getting a bit too specific in the ToR?
* alexbarth has quit (Remote host closed the connection)
<sev_hotosm2> Yes let us stick on what we have right now, the processes have not been really defined, you are right
<claire> (sorry, where's the link of the doc being edited?)
<russdeffner> https://hackpad.com/HOT-AWG-Activation-Working-Group-Terms-of-reference-8EFvmXXzU68
<claire> thx Russ!
<sev_hotosm2> Hi Claire
<russdeffner> you're welcome Claire, hello!
<claire> Hi! (trying to catch up)
<russdeffner> Ok, I think it is not too bad of a draft ToR and I'm thinking it may need to be flexible (i.e. multiple drafts) as we work on activation procedures
<sev_hotosm> OK, if nobody has a topic to raise to the AWG, I thing we can say that the monthly meeting ends now and starts a specific co-working session on the TORs
<sev_hotosm> russdeffner what do you mean by multple drafts? For the TORs?
<pierzen> did not have time to re-read, any question about current ebola activation?
<russdeffner> yes, thinking that some things may become clearer once we define the process and mostly minor updates to the ToR afterword
* alexbarth (~alexbarth@50-198-132-58-static.hfc.comcastbusiness.net) has joined #hot
<sev_hotosm> pierzen we focused on TORs and specific meetings to make + weekly meetings for ongoing activations, see https://hackpad.com/HOT-AWG-Activation-Working-Group-Terms-of-reference-8EFvmXXzU68#:h=Members
<claire> @pierzen, are there urgent specific needs for now (for ebola or gaza)?
* le_loup_qui_rit1 (~Thunderbi@109.89.170.108) has joined #hot
<claire> I know there are several current tasks in the TM, but apart from that?
* le_loup_qui_rit1 has quit ()
* le_loup_qui_rit has quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
<sev_hotosm> russdeffner exactly
<pierzen> cclaire: needs AOI's from field hard to obtain, waiting for imagery, hope people will continue to participate even if vacations.
* pgiraud has quit (Ping timeout: 480 seconds)
<pierzen> we have meeting tomorrow with WHO and partners. this will be time to realign priorities maybe.
<pierzen> We have a lot of place names to add in Sierra Leone and Liberia. We try to focus first on area where we identify a priority (ie more cases)
<pierzen> Would be good to revise the road classification, often first run, too many highway=track.
* Disconnected (Connection reset by peer).
* Disconnected (Connection reset by peer).
* Disconnected (Remote host closed socket).
* sev_hotosm sets mode +i sev_hotosm
* Notify: ybon is online (OFTC).
* Now talking on #hot
* Topic for #hot is: Ebola Outbreak https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2014_West_Africa_Ebola_Response | #hot log: http://logs.sahanafoundation.org/hotosm
* Topic for #hot set by ptressel!~chatzilla@174-31-242-8.tukw.qwest.net at Wed Jul 9 16:01:28 2014
* sev_hotosm already in use. Retrying with sev_hotosm2...
* sev_hotosm2 sets mode +i sev_hotosm2
* sev_hotosm2 (~severin@105.234.199.31) has joined #hot
* Now talking on #hot
* Topic for #hot is: Ebola Outbreak https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2014_West_Africa_Ebola_Response | #hot log: http://logs.sahanafoundation.org/hotosm
* Topic for #hot set by ptressel!~chatzilla@174-31-242-8.tukw.qwest.net at Wed Jul 9 16:01:28 2014
* Notify: ybon is online (OFTC).
<pierzen> they represent MSF, they should be in contact with WHO and others. We are making the point tomorow, I will know more then.
<sev_hotosm> need to go, thx for the TORs
<sev_hotosm> can someone send me the IRC log
<sev_hotosm> Iwas disconnected several times and must have lost some lines