Humanitarian OSM Team/Working groups/Activation/meeting 2015-09-29

From OpenStreetMap Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Activation WG Meeting Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 14:00 UTC

Participants - IRC handle (lines said)

russdeffner (77), mkl (42), BlakeGirardot_ (11), Adityo (5), enock4seth (5)

Links mentioned in meeting

Meeting Summary

  • Agenda used was this hackpad.
  • Review Aug 25th Summary (russdeffner, 14:08:55)
    • Still working/need to make progress on concluding Activations (Ebola and Vanuatu); possibly try to recruit those Activators who have completed the role exam and need endorsment (russdeffner, 14:14:28)
    • Short discussion on how the workflow of Activation training and endorsement happens (russdeffner, 14:19:46)
  • Any Pressing Needs (russdeffner, 14:20:36)
  • OSM Tasking Manager Items (russdeffner, 14:26:13)
    • ACTION: Create focus group for developing process around on-boarding and maintaining the Project Managers on the HOT instances of the OSM Tasking Manager (russdeffner, 15:00:45)
  • Any Other Business (russdeffner, 15:01:52)
    • ACTION: AWG facilitators to create procedures for joining the AWG google group (russdeffner, 15:05:58)

IRC Log

14:04:43 <russdeffner> #startmeeting Activation Working Group September 29
14:04:43 <hot_meetbot`> Meeting started Tue Sep 29 14:04:43 2015 UTC and is due to finish in 60 minutes. The chair is russdeffner. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
14:04:43 <hot_meetbot`> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
14:04:43 <hot_meetbot`> The meeting name has been set to 'activation_working_group_september_29'
14:06:09 <BlakeGirardot_> Hi all
14:06:34 <russdeffner> agenda is here https://hackpad.com/Activation-Working-Group-September-1-2015-Meeting-Agenda-4A3EJxA9liD
14:07:04 <russdeffner> just ignore that the URL has Sept 1 in it :)
14:08:22 <russdeffner> I did just quickly add the bot's summary to last time if you would kindly review so we have somewhere to start
14:08:38 <russdeffner> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/Working_groups/Activation/meeting_2015-08-25
14:08:55 <russdeffner> #topic Review Aug 25th Summary
14:09:16 <russdeffner> I will add participants, full log, etc. when able
14:09:27 <mkl> looks good to me (though I wasn't attending)
14:10:31 <mkl> russdeffner: want any comments/discussion on the items from last time?
14:10:55 <russdeffner> oh, just caught/fixed a format error, bullet list is fixed now
14:11:00 <BlakeGirardot_> I don't have any
14:11:55 <russdeffner> don't know of any progress on concluding previous activations
14:12:47 <russdeffner> however, that stuff could be used for endorsement section of role courses
14:14:14 <mkl> "endorsement section of role courses" ?
14:14:28 <russdeffner> #info Still working/need to make progress on concluding Activations (Ebola and Vanuatu); possibly try to recruit those Activators who have completed the role exam and need endorsment
14:15:04 <mkl> what's the connection between concluding activations and recuiting activators?
14:15:53 <russdeffner> as defined in the Activation Protocol, volunteers will need to complete courses at HOT Training Center
14:16:24 <russdeffner> Completing a Role course includes an endorsement/vetting/mentoring component
14:16:47 <russdeffner> basically 'an assignment' in moodle terminology
14:17:16 <russdeffner> first endorsed volunteer was Maning
14:17:30 <russdeffner> for Tasking role
14:17:32 <mkl> so you're saying that concluding the activation could be an assignment for a new activtor
14:17:33 <mkl> ?
14:18:27 <russdeffner> I was thinking the Reporting role and maybe Validation could conclude an Activation to fulfill their endorsement
14:18:39 <mkl> gotcha
14:18:40 <russdeffner> Would have to look at the assignments again
14:19:12 <russdeffner> so that is a bit of follow-up from previous...
14:19:29 <mkl> certainly want to have reporting on closed activations ... a summing up post if possible would be great
14:19:46 <russdeffner> #info Short discussion on how the workflow of Activation training and endorsement happens
14:20:25 <russdeffner> so, on to next topic?
14:20:36 <russdeffner> #topic Any Pressing Needs
14:21:05 <russdeffner> since I've been totally disconnected for quite a bit, I don't really know what projects are going on
14:21:33 <mkl> this may not be pressing, but the clean up of project managers, and creation of mailing list, in the OSMTM
14:22:21 <russdeffner> yes, that probably would just be an 'any other business' thing so we'll hang on a moment
14:23:07 <russdeffner> Hi Adityo and anyone else that recently joined
14:23:28 <russdeffner> we're in the AWG meeting, agenda item 2: https://hackpad.com/Activation-Working-Group-September-29-2015-Meeting-Agenda-4A3EJxA9liD
14:23:30 <Adityo> hi russ hi everyone
14:24:09 <enock4seth> Russ, am following just don't have anything to say so far ;)
14:24:10 <russdeffner> so going twice for anyone working a disaster mapping project, any pressing needs?
14:24:29 <russdeffner> no problem enock, thanks for joining
14:24:42 <BlakeGirardot_> I need some profressional
14:24:52 <BlakeGirardot_> validation skills on a
14:24:59 <BlakeGirardot_> wait, never mind, it is not disaster
14:25:30 <BlakeGirardot_> just regular humanitarian mapping needs some serious fix ups in a mountanious region
14:25:49 <russdeffner> ok, let's go with mkl 's item first
14:26:11 <mkl> did everyone get the email, or should we recount here?
14:26:13 <russdeffner> #topic OSM Tasking Manager Items
14:26:33 <russdeffner> we could link to the email maybe?
14:27:08 <russdeffner> was that yesterday?
14:27:17 <enock4seth> link here will be fine
14:27:18 <mkl> yesterday
14:27:43 <russdeffner> and it was to activation@, right?
14:28:16 <mkl> yea, trying to find the link now
14:29:00 <Adityo> its about tm for La Reunion?
14:29:09 <russdeffner> think I got it; probably have to be logged-in and part of the group to read
14:29:12 <russdeffner> https://groups.google.com/a/hotosm.org/forum/?hl=en#!topic/activation/sB4gnA_UzhM
14:29:24 <mkl> yes
14:29:33 <enock4seth> Thanks
14:30:25 <mkl> to sum up, we're talking about 1) gardening the current list of project managers to those who are active and need access
14:30:44 <mkl> 2) gathering email address of project managers into a mailing list, to facilitate communication
14:30:53 <russdeffner> in general there is a bit of controlled chaos when it comes to prroject managerment on the HOT instance of the OSM Tasking Manager
14:30:57 <mkl> 3) clear onboarding process for new project managers
14:31:28 <russdeffner> yes, sorry to break your numbering there Mikel
14:31:45 <mkl> true. and there's no real issue at the moment requiring #1. but #2 and #3 would be good, and suggest doing #1 anyway
14:33:03 <mkl> ...
14:33:30 <russdeffner> I basically completely agree
14:33:43 <russdeffner> just not sure, what next?
14:34:04 <mkl> next would be
14:34:40 <mkl> * creation of a spreadsheet to track who's active and gather email addresses
14:34:52 <mkl> * creation of the email list
14:35:03 <mkl> if someone is willing to help with this, i can pair on it
14:35:45 <russdeffner> I have a bit more radical an idea; but also would be more long-term
14:35:50 <mkl> ok?
14:36:21 <russdeffner> that is, say maybe 1 year from now, only people with Tasking Role 'badge' can be PM on our instance
14:36:45 <russdeffner> those badges expire after one year, so they would need to keep it maintained
14:38:17 <mkl> what would they need to do to renew?
14:38:40 <russdeffner> participate in an Activation or Simulation during the year +6 months or start over
14:38:50 <russdeffner> that is the 'current' scheduling
14:39:42 <russdeffner> details still need to be worked-out as we see the curriculum in practice
14:40:42 <Adityo> and anyone for create tasking manager for training purpose should be on tasks.dev.hotosm.org?
14:40:51 <mkl> i like
14:41:04 <russdeffner> but now there is a 'roster' started
14:41:28 <mkl> Adityo: or teachosm.org, or another instance
14:41:34 <russdeffner> currently a google sheet, and I haven't even had time to share with Tyler - so the AWG knows first :)
14:43:21 <russdeffner> So, to get something concrete for this topic...
14:43:45 <BlakeGirardot_> teachosm needs to make its mission clear
14:43:58 <russdeffner> maybe the AWG can suggest/motion to work on the three things mkl mentioned?
14:44:01 <BlakeGirardot_> I understood it to be for use in classrooms, k-12 and university
14:44:25 <BlakeGirardot_> which is different than regular activation training or disaster mapping training
14:44:28 <russdeffner> the material is more classroom oriented
14:44:29 <mkl> BlakeGirardot_: agreed
14:45:01 <russdeffner> but their instance of the TM has been offered for training type projects to free up resources at HOT
14:45:34 <mkl> agreed that there needs to be more clarity with teachosm
14:46:00 <mkl> russdeffner: is there clear onboarding instructions for new folks to the osmtm?
14:46:04 <mkl> in the curriculum?
14:46:25 <russdeffner> I think much like decided if/when to Activate, it's always also going to be a dynamic decision on which instance/etc
14:47:18 <russdeffner> mkl - not really, it was discussed quite a bit, but identified as lacking in general
14:47:42 <russdeffner> hence my reply in the email thread (so, how do we decide to onboard a new PM?)
14:48:23 <russdeffner> the only thing I can think is: endorsed for Tasking Role
14:48:53 <mkl> well there's the criteria for them to take on the role, and the things they need to learn
14:49:14 <mkl> how defined are the responsibilities and knowledge needed for Tasking Role?
14:49:23 <mkl> and who does endorsement?
14:49:23 <russdeffner> the training teaches the how-to, just not how-to-become
14:49:48 <russdeffner> I'm still not 100% sure how to join the AWG mailing list
14:50:08 <russdeffner> or what to tell insterested volunteers
14:50:31 <russdeffner> anyway, sorry - there's lots of these little processes that are not documented
14:52:27 <BlakeGirardot_> i think they can send me an email to join
14:52:47 <BlakeGirardot_> I think the list accepts non member emails too so they could send a request to the list
14:52:53 <russdeffner> :) haha - my current answer is to just send an email to the list
14:52:53 <mkl> AWG ... I think it's about showing up to meetings :)
14:53:13 <mkl> what join the mailing list if you are not participating in the AWG meetings
14:53:21 <russdeffner> time zone
14:53:33 <russdeffner> thanks to folks like Adit who will stay up late
14:53:52 <russdeffner> but we can't 'require' it, if they're following up with minutes,e tc
14:55:00 <Adityo> i'm not always join in AWG anw russ
14:55:01 <mkl> well some sort of participation
14:55:36 <mkl> joining WG mailing lists should indicate participation (in some way) in the WG
14:55:49 <mkl> anyhow ... we are deviating from the topic
14:56:07 <enock4seth> Blake, but it hasn't been indicated on the AWG WIki page as to how to join mailing list/
14:56:08 <russdeffner> yes, was just about to ask if we can come up with a clear action for this?
14:56:54 <russdeffner> enock - first, let's figure out exactly 'the process' we want; then document - but let's put that to another motion/topic
14:57:23 <enock4seth> noted
14:57:37 <mkl> (10:43:55 AM) russdeffner: maybe the AWG can suggest/motion to work on the three things mkl mentioned?
14:58:36 <russdeffner> ok, mkl do we need a motion for each; ie. assign parts to different people, or do you just want to 'spearhead' a 'focus group'?
14:59:01 <mkl> i can gather folks to work on this.
14:59:16 <mkl> anyone here now want to partner on this?
15:00:45 <russdeffner> #action Create focus group for developing process around on-boarding and maintaining the Project Managers on the HOT instances of the OSM Tasking Manager
15:01:17 <russdeffner> ok, mkl - I'll include some messaging to contact you if interested when I send out the meeting summary
15:01:23 <mkl> sounds good
15:01:37 <russdeffner> and I may have time to help, just not sure at the moment
15:01:52 <russdeffner> #topic Any Other Business
15:02:19 <Adityo> i can help you mkl in my free times
15:03:03 <russdeffner> Blake - did you want to introduce/call for volunteers on your 'non-disaster' project :)
15:05:02 <russdeffner> and enock just left, but let me pick that item back up
15:05:58 <russdeffner> #action AWG facilitators to create procedures for joining the AWG google group
15:06:14 <russdeffner> going once for any other AWG business...
15:06:58 <russdeffner> going twice...
15:07:12 <russdeffner> Thank you everyone
15:07:16 <russdeffner> #endmeeting