From OpenStreetMap Wiki
|Visibility of a given element|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: In use|
|Tools for this tag|
visibility=* is used for publicly visible devices or features to evaluate the scope of their visibility.
- visibility=house : visible from the pavement, or up to 10 meters (around), or to indicate that the device is targeted mostly for pedestrians.
- visibility=street : visible from the current street, or from between 10 m and 50 m (around), or to indicate that the device is targeted to passers-by moving with vehicles going slowly.
- visibility=area : visible from several directions, or from more than 50 m (around), or to indicate that the device is targeted to passers-by moving with vehicles going fast.
Combinations on advertising unit
For advertising devices, setting a 'visibility' value helps defining the impact of the advertising unit on the passers-by.
- On one point of view, the higher is the visibility, the bigger is the impact.
- On another point of view, the higher the visibility, the least of the living environment (as too many advertising units, even more so too many big advertising units are considered as visual pollution).