London/London Hack Weekend Nov 2011
The London hack weekend on Nov 2011 is a past event. If you were there, thanks for coming, and thanks for all the hacking! If your weren't there, we will give you another chance some time in 2012.
|This is a past event, but keep an eye on London#events and OSMlondon for details of new hack events and workshops.|
It took place 26th and 27th in London, and as ever, it was a smorgasbord of hard-core development, tutorials and hanging around in pubs!
Thanks to MapQuest for hosting us at their London offices and supplying us with pizza fuel. Thanks to User:Matt for organising this (Matt works for MapQuest, and is also on the Engineering Working Group)
Pictures and videos
What got hacked?
- RichardF, TomH and Matt hacked on front page redesign stuff, "borrowing" from openstreetmap.ru. See the branch here on github.
- Matt and DennisL talked about the latter's Open Source Routing Machine and tried to get it running to gauge resource requirements for the Top Ten Tasks.
- Gravitystorm hacked on Potlatch 2, including improving the GUI layout and i18n from the Top Ten Tasks.
- Frederik worked on some ODbL tools (Top Ten Tasks) for figuring out the taintedness of objects.
- User:Kachkaev working on a website for OpenStreetMap Olympics related festivities
- User:Derick wrote a visualisation toolset... well, a part of it
- Harry Wood chatted with some new folks Idris and User:BrightonMapper about ideas and possibilities for development around OpenStreetMap and general overview topics. Also worked with Adrian trying to anchor things in OpenLayers
- DennisL released version v0.3b of OSRM. Read announcement here
Who was there?
This is the original sign up list. Please update with who was actually there.
- Dennis Luxen
- Harry Wood (Saturday)
- Richard (Saturday)
- Derick (Pub on Saturday, some of Sunday)
- User:robert will come one day at least
- Dan (should be there Saturday)
- Simon Tokumine (poss Sunday)
- ManeeshJ (maybe)
- TomChance (maybe)
- Serge Wroclawski
- User:BrightonMapper (Chris) Saturday
- User:realguides (Adrian) Saturday, poss Sunday: prob late!
- Andrew possibly
- Martin (CycleStreets) not sure which day(s) yet
- John angel
An OpenStreetMap "hack weekend" is a meet-up where we bring along laptops to an office space and spend the weekend doing some technical work to improve OpenStreetMap. This may be development of the "core" components, the editors, or any other side projects and pet projects we fancy hacking on. OpenStreetMap has development tasks sprouting from it in all directions. There's work to do in almost any programming language, as well as tasks like documentation, and even some non-technical graphics design and translation tasks.
We mostly take a fairly unstructured free-form format. People turn up and start beavering away on something, or they turn up and see what they can help with. However we can also run more structured workshops if there is demand