Top Ten Tasks
These are the Top Ten Tasks that the OSM System Administrators would really like your development help on, there is no order of priority. Tasks should only be added by the Engineering Working Group or osm sysadmin team, and only 10 tasks should ever be on the list at any one time. For tasks which have already been completed, please see #Completed or deferred tasks.. Each task should have a relevant contact name alongside it as the contact for assistance with getting involved the task as well as a progress page.
A solution is in particular more useful if it is performant enough to handle the number of visitors on the OSM main page. Please also make a branch of the rails port source tree and implement there the necessary user interface for the main website.
Support for multiple languages on help.osm.org
There are two parts to this task. 1) i18n and l10n of the help.osm.org user interface. 2) Create a viable strategy to deal with questions and answers in multiple languages.
1) help.osm.org is based on the OSQA software. To some degree OSQA already supports translating the user interface. It uses the i18n features of Django and can be set to choose the language of the UI based on the users' browser preference. However, this feature is not yet activated on help.osm.org and only a limited number of language translations currently exist. This part of the task would therefore involve working with the operations team to enable OSQA's i18n features, as well as create more translations in different languages.
2) To be able to easily support multiple languages of questions in the same instance of help.osm.org, a good filtering system is needed to restrict questions and answers to the language a given user can understand. Unlike e.g. Shapado, OSQA currently does not support this feature. Therefore this part of the task would require extending the OSQA software accordingly.
Clickable POIs on the frontpage
- Who can you talk to? Matt,Michal Migurski
- What's being done already? Progress
One of the areas where Google Maps scores over OSM is that many POIs on their slippy map are clickable, bringing up a balloon with more details (link to website, etc.).
Mapnik's MetaWriter functionality could provide much of the brainpower for this. Alternatively,
- User:Komяpa has written an implementation for http://openstreetmap.by that could be reusable.
- POI catalog and clickable POI at http://openstreetmap.ru/ Source code at Github, BSD license.
- User:Marczoutendijk wrote OpenPoiMap  which is a tool to show a selection of clickable POI. It is as well a useful tool for the mapper by showing e.g. all the fixme's in a certain area. User defined pois are also possible. Sourcecode at Github. Please read the wiki . This tool is also known as Taglocator .
Another option is to use Mapnik2 UTF-8 grids as an alternate renderer for mod_tile, so UTF-8 tiles are created, then re-use the provided examples.
XML deleted items call
Currently, there is no way to get information about items which have been deleted through the API, but this information is important to implementing undelete features in clients.
There is a previous implementation of an undelete feature in Potlatch 1 which used custom code in the rails port to obtain this data. However, this implementation may not be suitable for large-scale use and attention will have to be paid to ensure that the queries run efficiently.
Improved activity/history tab
- Who can you talk to? Matt, Paweł Paprota
- What's being done already? Progress
The history tab on the front page shows recent changesets in the area displayed. However, due to worldwide changes (often automated edits or bots) it is a well-known problem that many of these changes are uninteresting and merely have bounding boxes which overlap the field of view, no actual changes inside it.
In the end of December 2012 OWL reached beta status and solved for some this problem by integrating with the main website to create a more interactive History tab (see beta). As of 2015 OWL website is unusably slow.
Completed or deferred tasks
- OpenStreetBugs/notes integration - /Progress/OpenStreetBugs/notes integration - DONE!
- Internationalization / localization of PL2 - /Progress/Internationalization / localization of PL2 - DONE!
- ODbL migration tools - DONE!
- Potlatch 2 tutorial mode - Deferred
- Routing backend - Deferred