|Status:||Rejected proposals (inactive)|
|Applies to:||, ,|
|Definition:||A place for children to do homework, play and spend time otherwise after school or kindergarten.|
|Rendered as:||Like amenity=school|
Quote by wikipedia:Day care, slightly modified:
Child care or day care is care of a child during the day by a person other than the child's legal guardians, typically performed by someone outside the child's immediate family. Childcare is typically an ongoing service during specific periods, such as the parents' time at work to fill the gap between children visiting educational institutions (mainly schools, sometimes kindergarten) and the time parents with a full time job can take care of them.
The service is known as child care in the United Kingdom and Australia and day care in North America . In german speaking countries it is known as Kindertagesstätte or Hort (mainly Austria).
|optional||age=*||<minage>-<maxage>;<minage>-<maxage>;…||The children age group(s) the institution covers. Example: 0-6;10-14|
|optional||capacity=*||integer||The maximum number of children the facility takes care of|
|optional||operator=*||string||The name of the operator|
|optional||operator:type=*||school/government/religious/private||Additional values can be used if needed|
|optional||religion=*||*||In case of a religious child care facility, further information about the religion can be added|
|optional||denomination=*||*||In case of a religious child care facility, further information about the religion can be added|
|optional||service_times:childcare=*||<opening hours syntax>||The time children are taken care of. If service_times:childcare isn't tagged, the fallback value is the one tagged for opening_hours. service_times:childcare always has to be a subset of opening_hours=*. In case service_times:childcare are (wrongly) overlapping, opening_hours=* weights more. So if service_times:childcare states the facility is "open" and opening_hours states it is "closed", it can be interpreted as "closed" overall.|
|optional||opening_hours=*||<opening hours syntax>||The time the facility is opened. Not necessarily the same time as service_hours (For example different office hours).|
There seems to be some overlapping in definitions between amenity=childcare and amenity=social_facility. Depending on the outcome of the vote, childcare gets its own amenity value if it is approved. In case of a decline it should be integrated into amenity=social_facility by rephrasing the definition to be more precise. Eventually there would be the need for an additional social_facility value, since the current ones don't cover daycare.
Changes based on comments from the RFC phase
- changed the value from daycare to childcare. (mailinglist)
- added additional, optional tags for further refinement of child care facilities. (mailinglist)
- added namespace to service_hours to avoid mixup with other service_hours interpretations (osm-de chat)
Voting is now closed. 5 users voted "yes", 9 user voted "no". Proposal has not reached the minimum amount of 15 votes or 8 approving votes. The proposal is rejected.
- I approve this proposal. --Flaimo 00:09, 8 May 2011 (BST)
- I approve this proposal. --Dri60 09:46, 8 May 2011 (BST)
- I approve this proposal. --Burnus 11:54, 8 May 2011 (BST)
- I approve this proposal. --Al3xius 18:22, 9 May 2011 (BST)
- I oppose this proposal. I now vote no because i wasn't aware of the overlap between this proposal and amenity=kindergarten --Computerfreaked 10:43, 20 May 2011 (BST)
- I approve this proposal. --Kerosin 23:04, 12 May 2011 (BST)
- I oppose this proposal. amenity=childcare is overlapping with amenity=kindergarten and it is not stated, how this issues should be handled. --Fabi2 16:32, 13 May 2011 (BST)
- I oppose this proposal. for the same reason explained above. I understand this proposal as the same thing as amenity=kindergarten with sometimes different opening hours, there's no need to use another tag for that. --Don-vip 02:32, 14 May 2011 (BST)
- so 10 year old children go to kindergartens after elementry school in france? --Flaimo 10:15, 14 May 2011 (BST)
- I oppose this proposal. amenity=childcare is overlapping with amenity=kindergarten and it is not stated, how this issues should be handled. --User 5359 19:00, 15 May 2011 (BST)
- I oppose this proposal. don't use amenity for everything. I would prefer social_facility=childcare if you want an alternate to amenity=kindergarten. --josias 06:15, 16 May 2011 (BST)
- I oppose this proposal. amenity=childcare and amenity=kindergarten are overlapping. --pmurk65 11:00, 16 May 2011 (BST)
- I oppose this proposal. As already stated in the comments: age is highly ambiguous and will normally be refered to the feature and not to the people for which the feature is intended. (have a look here: . I also don't agree with your interpretation of "opening_hours". I don't care whether this is "amenity" or "social_facility". -- Dieterdreist 11:55, 16 May 2011 (BST)
- I oppose this proposal. We already have amenity=kindergarten, what is that new tag usefull for?--Iknopf 13:25, 16 May 2011 (BST)
- I oppose this proposal. The existing amenity=kindergarten is good enough.--R-michael 17:52, 16 May 2011 (BST)
Update 2012-06-28: both this specific vote, and the voting process itself, were critiqued by Monica Stephens at SheepCamp 2012. Paraphrasing the linked video, there is an inherent problem when discussing this concept stemming partly from the linguistic divide between German and English, and partly from an inadvertent ignorance or dismissal of child care stemming from most OSM contributers and voters being male and thus being on average tasked less with child care duties. Fundamentally, school-age children would not attend a kindergarten for day care and it is unhelpful to map child day care facilities using the tag. Voters have either not grasped this, or have considered the fact of overlap sufficient to reject the proposal without taking the time to propose a proper alternative.