|amenity = school|
|Institution designed for learning under the supervision of teachers.|
|Group: Education features|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
Use amenity=school to identify a place where pupils, normally between the ages of about 5 and 18 are taught under the supervision of teachers. This includes primary and secondary schools. See amenity=kindergarten, amenity=college, amenity=university for other educational establishments.
How to map
Mark the boundary of the school using an Area or place a Node in the middle of the site if you are in a hurry (or don't have access to information about the boundary and it is not obvious from aerial imagery).
This area should envelop the full grounds of the school including all the buildings, sports facilities and grounds. For schools with multiple sites the multipolygon relation can be used. Tag the element with amenity=school and name=* for the name of school. Suggested additional tags include:
- operator=* - Name of operator, often the local education authority.
- addr=* - Address details
- capacity=*, for the number of pupils taught at the school
- isced:level=*, for the educational level (proposed tags)
- fee=yes if the the school makes a direct charge for core services.
- religion=*, if the school is associated with a particular religion (also denomination=*)
- wikipedia=*, for a link to a Wikipedia article about the school
- ref=*, if schools are numbered
- contact=*, for contact details including the schools website, email and phone number
Consider adding entrance=* and if appropriate barrier=gate to the points where roads, paths or other access routes into the school grounds cross the boundary of the school (which is tagged with amenity=school.
Building entrances can be mapped with a node on the building outline, with one of the following tags:
- entrance=main for the main entrance
- entrance=yes for secondary entries
- entrance=emergency for one-way out of the building in case of emergency
- entrance=service used only by employees or for delivering.
Individual sports pitches can be tagged with leisure=pitch and where an individual sport can be identified it can be tagged with sport=* and the surface (grass, asphalt etc) with surface=*. Areas of grass, possibly covering multiple pitches or used for other purposes can tagged with landuse=grass.