|For categorising any specific sport|
|Used on these elements|
|Documented values: 107|
|Status: De facto|
|Tools for this tag|
The sport=* tag is used to identify one or more sports which can be played within or on some physical feature. A list of sports is given below.
A sport=* should normally also be associated with a suitable physical feature where it is performed; often this is leisure=pitch or leisure=track although other surfaces or features are sometimes appropriate, for example natural=beach for swimming and scuba diving. A leisure=sports_centre may be associated with a number of sports. Where individual sports are played at distinct identifiable places then identify the sport with the particular pitch etc. Where a number of sports are associated with a single feature then separate the sports with a ';', for example 'gymnastics;badminton'.
Several sports rely on different or additional tagging, whitewater sports use specific tagging to tag waterways, Proposed features/Climbing routes are tagged as ways with grades and there is special mapping for highway=via_ferrata.
Since this is a non-physical tag it should be combined with one of these (physical) tags:
- club=sport Sports club
- leisure=track (athletics, cycling, horse_racing, ...)
- leisure=golf_course (golf, jogging, walking, ...)
- leisure=horse_riding (equestrian)
- leisure=swimming_pool (swimming, scuba diving, gymnastics, ...)
- landuse=piste (skiing, hiking, paragliding, ...)
- tourism=hotel (swimming, golf, tennis, ...)
- amenity=restaurant (10pin, ...)
- amenity=pub (sport=billiards, darts, pinball, table_soccer ...)
The colour of areas should be determined by the physical tags mentioned above. The sport-tag itself should only result in an appropriate icon. When there's no other (physical) tag some default color could be applied, though this wouldn't encourage proper mapping.