|Feature : Winter sports|
|For mapping features relevant to winter sports.|
For mapping features relevant to winter sports, including down-hill skiing, nordic skiing and skating, snowshoeing, etc.
You will find everything you want for downhill, cross-country, winter-hiking, snowshoeing, sledge, lifts ... in the comprehensive and widely used Piste Maps page.
Pistes can be grouped in route relations, allowing to express the marking color, the name, etc ... Two schemes are currently in used:
- Tag:route=piste (Similar to the former, but also allows for snowshoeing and winter-hiking)
Site=piste proposed alternative.
All the relevant information for a complete tagging can be found on the links above.
- Downhill or alpine ski
- Crosscountry or nordic ski
- Ski touring
- Winter hiking(aka. piste:type=hike, piste:grooming=classic)
- Snowshoeing (aka. piste:type=hike, piste:grooming=backcountry)
- Ski playground
- OpenSnowMap shows ski pistes (cross-country and downhill), sled, snowparks ...
- XCTrails.org shows ski tour, and cross country (XC) trails from OSM with routing functionality for XC trails and additional information from other sources like weather, piste status, elevation profile etc.
- Ski lifts are shown on the main OpenStreetMap mapnik view.
- Ski pistes are contained in vector maps for offline use on Android with OsmAnd (via opensnowmap.org) and Locus (use build-in vector map theme Ski or data & theme from openandromaps.org)
- Ski pistes are displayed by several map providers that can be downloaded with Mobile Atlas Creator for various apps on various mobile platforms (e.g. Java ME based TrekBuddy running on Symbian S60, Android etc.). Note: Mobac (MobileAtlas Creator) can bulk-download tiles to provide them offline in your mobile device. However, this is at the detriment of Tile_usage_policy of the majority of the tile servers. See also Blocked_applications.Use with reason.
- Some ski resort maps in Garmin image file format are available on http://www.skidea.com.
- A customized Potlatch 2 editor, KML map, and map renderings are available at Skimap.org (OpenSkiMap).
General facilities that apply generally to winter sports include shop=ticket (where tickets can be purchased) and amenity=ski_school (where people learn the sport). Also amenity=restaurant, amenity=shelter, tourism=viewpoint, natural=cliff, amenity=mountain_rescue and amenity=firstaid