|latitude: -2.008, longitude: 29.764|
|Browse map of Rwanda 2°00′29″ S, 29°45′50″ E|
|Use this template for your city|
Rwanda is a country in Africa at latitude 2°00′29″ South, longitude 29°45′50″ East.
|WikiProject Rwanda +/-|
Boundary relation of Rwanda.
Map of Rwanda
Districts in Rwanda
see also Wikipedia article about the districts.
|Division||District||Population||State||Notes||mapped by/checked by||User|
see template:map_status for the color definitions.
In addition to the Provinces and Districts listed above, Rwanda has three further administrative divisions.
Districts are divided into Sectors. Sectors are divided into Cells. Cells are divided into Villages.
The Rwanda National Resources Authority provides the National Land Use Planning Portal which contains data on these administrative features. National Land Use Planning Portal () Every local citizen has access to government through their local village leader or umudugudu.
Cities and towns
It is important to note that Rwanda renamed many communities following the genocide in 1994. While the official names of these communities have changed, in many places the signs have not be updated (this is inconsistently applied throughout the country) and the local people may continue to use the older community names. Please refer to the following list:
- Gitarama is now Muhanga
- Butare is now Huye
- Ruhengeri is now Musanze
- Gisenyi is now Rubavu
- Byumba (unchanged)
Population as of 2002 
- Kigali 608,141
- Gitarama 84,669
- Butare 77,449
- Ruhengeri 70,525
- Gisenyi 67,192
- Byumba 66,536
- Cyangugu 59,429
- Nyanza 55,699
- Buga 51,128
- Rwamagana 47,203
- Kibuye 46,500
- Ruhango 43,780
- Kibungo 43,582
- Gikongoro 32,476
- Umutara 8,003
- We have permission to draw Rwanda form a map. The map is available as WMS at http://wms.openstreetmap.de/ (layer named "Ruanda"). For more details see  and 
- Africover () and DEPHA () - have granted us (Development Seed () - permission to upload their base layers - roads, rivers, rails, admin boundaries. So far, we have uploaded the road shapefile. Outstanding work includes:
- Rivers - Africover
- Admin Boundaries (need to determine current status of OSM dataset before doing anything here) - Africover
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (Africover) ()- A project aimed at generating a database of GIS layers for the purpose of promoting sustainable management of environmental resources at national, regional and global levels. Rwanda data includes administrative and political boundaries, rivers, towns, and spatially/thematically aggregated landcover. We've received permission from Africover to import road, river, and administrative boundary data layers into OSM.
- Map Library () - A project of the Map Maker Trust. It has a simple base map, outline, and layers of administrative boundaries and areas, level one divisions, and satellite images.
- GeoCommunity () - A GIS data depot that provide premium downloads for a minimal cost and normal downloads free of charge. Available Rwanda layers include political/ocean boundaries, roads, populated places, and landcover.
- National Land Use Planning Portal () - Rwanda's official site for administrative maps and land planning information.
Other datasets that might be useful:
- Socioeconomic Data and Applications Center (SEDAC) () - Population layers for the world.