|shop = variety_store|
|A variety store or price-point retailer is a retail store that sells inexpensive items|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: De facto|
|Tools for this tag|
Aor price-point retailer is a retail store that sells inexpensive items, usually with a single price point for all items in the store. Typical merchandise includes cleaning supplies, toys, and confectionery.
Other names include "dollar store", "discount store", "bargain store", "bargain basement". Common franchise/brand names in the UK: poundstretcher, poundland, everything's a pound, 99p store (and many more). Common Brands/chains of these in the USA include Dollar Tree, Dollar General, Family Dollar, and Ollie's. In Canada, Dollarama is the largest dollar store chain.
How to map
As with other types of shops, place the shop=variety_store tag on a node at the centre point of the building, or draw an area around the building outline.
- name=* the name of the variety store
- operator=* indicates the name of the company operating the variety store
- opening_hours=* hours of opening
- wheelchair=* suitable for wheelchairs
- shop=department_store - Can be similar, but generally higher quality goods. Less compact shelves and might not have aisles with trolleys/shopping carts.
- shop=supermarket - aisles with trolleys/carts, but tends be a lot more about food including perishable foods.
- shop=hardware - Some overlap, with product types, particularly kitchenware & homewares, but hardware is more typically about nuts and bolts and tools etc.
- shop=gift - shop selling gifts / greetings cards