| shop = variety_store
|A variety store or price-point retailer is a retail store that sells inexpensive items|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: De facto|
|Tools for this tag|
A variety store or price-point retailer is a retail store that sells inexpensive items, usually with a single price point for all items in the store. Typical merchandise includes cleaning supplies, toys, and confectionery.
Other names include "discount store", "bargain store", "bargain basement". Common franchise/brand names in the UK: poundstretcher, poundland, everything's a pound, 99p store (and many more). Common Brands/chains of these in the USA include Dollar Tree, Dollar General, Family Dollar, and Ollie's.
How to map
As with other types of shops, place the shop=variety_store tag on a node at the centre point of the building, or draw an area around the building outline.
Roughly equivalent values
The following values for key:shop are in use as of January 2013; these have roughly the same meaning as tag:shop=variety_store and could, pending individual tag instance review, be replaced or consolidated to tag:shop=variety_store:
- dollar, dollar_store, dollar store, Dollar Store
- shop=department_store - Can be similar, but generally higher quality goods. Less compact shelves and might not have aisles with trolleys/shopping carts.
- shop=supermarket - aisles with trolleys/carts, but tends be a lot more about food including perishable foods.
- shop=hardware - Some overlap, with product types, particularly kitchenware & homewares, but hardware is more typically about nuts and bolts and tools etc.
- shop=gift - shop selling gifts / greetings cards
Related terms: <variety store>