| +/- shop=variety_store
A variety store or price-point retailer is a retail store that sells inexpensive items
A variety store or price-point retailer is a retail store that sells inexpensive items, usually with a single price point for all items in the store. Typical merchandise includes cleaning supplies, toys, and confectionery.
Other names include "discount store", "bargain store", "bargain basement". Common franchise/brand names in the UK: poundstretcher, poundland, everything's a pound, 99p store (and many more)
How to map
As with other types of shops, place the shop=variety_store tag on a node at the centre point of the building, or draw an area around the building outline.
Roughly equivalent values
The following values for key:shop are in use as of January 2013; these have roughly the same meaning as tag:shop=variety_store and could, pending individual tag instance review, be replaced or consolidated to tag:shop=variety_store:
- dollar, dollar_store, dollar store, Dollar Store
- shop=department_store - Can be similar, but generally higher quality goods. Less compact shelves and might not have aisles with trolleys.
- shop=supermarket - aisles with trolleys, but tends be a lot more about food including perishable foods.
- shop=hardware - Some overlap, with product types, particularly kitchenware & homeward, but hardware is more typically about nuts and bolts and tools etc.
- shop=gift - shop selling gifts / greetings cards
Related terms: <variety store>